meeting question

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
eilis

meeting question

Post by eilis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Ok, Its not an advocacy issue but this concerns a friend that sometimes reads the forum so I dont want to upset.
Id love to know what group leaders think of this especially.

We have one mum at our local ABA group that always attends with sick children or kids with runny noses.
Last meeting her DS was clearly miserable and she was giving him paracetamol at the meeting. She also stated he was not well.

this happens all the time :!: and what happens? 3-4 days later my kids get sick. My DD has now on her 2nd course of antibiotics and we had an expensive trip to the DR as well as her having to miss kindy etc!

What Id like to know is....... is it worthwhile emailing or phoning my GL and asking her to include something in the next bulletin or send out a group email regarding meetings and sick kids?
The recent bulletin had something in it about kids and allergies and meetings, what to bring along etc.
Am I being unreasonable? Im just sick of my kids getting sick after every meeting. The only other option is to not attend :(

look forward to everyones thoughts :)
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance” Socrates
Mama to 4

meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

that sounds like a difficult issue to have to deal with.

how well do you know this woman?, is there anyway you could bring it up with her in between meeting times? perhaps some sort of comment even that you can't meet up as you don't feel comfy taking your sick children out *hint * or whatever?

perhaps if the bulletin included something along the lines of coping strategies for dealing with sick kids and mentioned lot's of bed rest is important ( and that the forum is a good way to get an ABA fix while stuck at home with sickies), among other things.

i dont' think sick kids could be excluded as such, unless it was something contagious like chicken pox, but i do think that it is preferable that parents keep sick children home, as much for their benefit as for others who may attend with little babies who may be vulnerable to bugs.
i also think that sometimes mothers meetings are important for the mothers sanity and that often toddlers seem to be sick with runny nose every other week, making it difficult to go out if you wait until they are well. (and why i love this place so much!)
personally i do what i can to boost my childrens immune system as you never know where they could pick up a germ, even though it seems to coincide with a visit with someone, it could just have easily been while doing the groceries perhaps, yanno :wink:

it's not a straight forward issue , but handled sensitively i do think a general reminder about staying at home with sick kids and other ideas for avoiding bugs ( simple hygiene etc) could work.

perhaps you could offer to draft something for your gl to include in the next bulletin and see what she thinks?
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar

four&out

Post by four&out » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:57 pm

I hear you on this one. I can actually top it unfortunately.

One of our counsellors attended a meeting just after being discharged from hospital for gastro. She came straight from the hospital to the meeting. She was even commenting how she still had diahorrea. Within probably 30 mins after she arrived a new mum came with a newborn and this lady actually held the new baby for a cuddle :shock:

I mentioned it to our GL and she spoke with this cousellor privately asking her to leave. How bloomin stupid!

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do to exclude snotty noses but then again there is clear snotty and green snotty.

I would get a simple reminder note or courtesy note put into the bulletin about children coming when ill, even mentioning colds and gastro's specifically, as well as other more common 'stay at home' illnesses like chicken pox.

eilis

Post by eilis » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Im not overly concerned about a runny nose, I know kids get them without being sick, but this kid was clearly full of the cold or some flu like thing! he was soooo miserable and Erin ended up with a chest infection.

might try dropping some hints!
Mama to 4

nilmerg

Post by nilmerg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:19 pm

We pick up all of our colds from ABA meetings. I know it's annoying, but I always figure it will only make them stronger in the future. But then I'm talking about colds - not illnesses requiring Docs and Antibiotics, I suppose thats a bit different.

eilis

Post by eilis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:22 pm

I dont mind wee sniffles that they get over, but yep this was trip to the dr $28 and 2 lots of AB's at $17 each!

We skipped our snack and chat yesterday, couldnt risk it :cry:
Mama to 4

mo3

Post by mo3 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:30 pm

I totally understand your problem with it.... don't have any answer for you, but a general note in the bulletin (like meme's idea) might be a good idea. Let's face it... a new born shouldn't be exposed to some of these bugs. Okay for a bigger baby/toddler, but a NEW newborn?!?! Nope.

Anyway.... is this woman lonely? Is this why she insists on not staying at home? Is someone close enough to suggest a visit to her place where her kids can rest? (Long shot I suppose)

four&out - that's unbelievable about that councellor!! Incredible!!!!! That's just so STOOOPID!!! :evil:
Mum of DD8, DD5 (BC births) and DS 1:born into my hands at home