Thread to watch

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
Saffsmum
Site Admin

Thread to watch

Post by Saffsmum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi all - I'm on hols in Lismore and just jumped on for a quick look...I know I'm addicted!
Anyway am a bit concerned about this thread http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15 so can someone keep an eye on it?

S :D

MelissaR
Community Educator

Post by MelissaR » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Yep, keeping a close eye, I sent an email to the mod list too.
PK: 15.08.04
EK: 29.12.05
SK: 03.11.08
DH: Jason

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Ai ai ai ai ai ai. :shock:

I looked in on it last when there were only two or three responses... now it's clouded with smoke from religious Molotov cocktails...

Foxglove

Post by Foxglove » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Hey what are you doing here :)
DS 10 years
DD1 7 years
DD2 2 years

ABA phone & email helplines
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/product ... elling.asp

MelissaR
Community Educator

Post by MelissaR » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Cat - love the new pikkie! Very dramatic!
PK: 15.08.04
EK: 29.12.05
SK: 03.11.08
DH: Jason

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Thank you! I'm trying to convince people I'm a supermodel in my secret other life... *hahaha*

surfingyogini

Post by surfingyogini » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I get so disappointed when threads go like this... someone asked an innocent question and it turns into this??? Madness... I am just so saddened by the whole thing that I can't think of a proper way to respond (what does homosexuality have to do with Scientology???????)

Thank-you Coran for breathing some sanity into the thread!

Because a surfing mum is a happy mum...

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 am

Looks like I got on too late - it is gone. LOL. What was it about? BF and religion or something?

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:23 am

It started off as a question about scientology and then got all weird.
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:40 am

Ah! I heard about that thread. I think scientology is such a nutso idea - good lord, the guy said all the money was in inventing a religion and wrote science fiction books! Of course, it is easy for others to build all sorts of stuff into that sort of a framework. I think my DH calls it armchair psychology or something - enough "oh yeah" info in tere to get people hooked, LOL. Not me.

coran
Community Educator

Post by coran » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:15 am

Fyi, it descended into a comparison between homosexuality, incest and molestation by one particularly Christian forum member, and another forum member found the comparison extremely offensive. Even though the comparison was simply "these are things god doesn't like", the second poster was offended that they'd even been lumped together at all.

I preferred to leave the discussion as it was, but the offended person then thought that we weren't protecting the sensibilities of gay people and decided she didn't want anything to do with us. Now I've excised the whole argument about homosexuality from the thread - everything that went OT.

It went OT because one Christian thought that homosexuality wasn't wrong (in the context of other things that she saw no doctrinal reason for), but another chimed in with "god said it is" and someone said 'Not my god' and the second person said "Some people's god allows incest and child molesting ..." and that's when it derailed.

cAt, I love your new pic too.
ABA Community Educator, Father of 4.
If you like what we do please consider subscribing and help us keep doing it

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:41 am

Thank you. :)

FWIW, I actually didn't interpret her statement that way - it only came across to me as a poor choice of example when explaining that anyone can justify anything by saying they believe God says it's okay. The moment I saw the example, though, I thought "uh-oh..."

But there you go. It's all academic now: it's probably a good thing that you did some surgery on the thread, Coran - thanks for that.

Difficulties are always going to arise when religion is discussed in an open forum. Quite apart from the differences in what people believe, there's always a certain amount of misunderstanding about what it is that people actually believe. :? I'm still often surprised at what I apparently believe according to other people... :(

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:46 am

You're right, cAt, I think that was part of the problem on the masturbation thread. We know what we mean when we use certain words, but sometimes others have quite a different meaning!
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:59 am

Good Lord! Sounded like a doozie.

Good on you for doing a bit of 'exorcism' on it, LOL.

Some folks do have bizarre ideas - I didn't even think scientology was about god? I thought it was about aliens whisking people away in UFO's or something trippy like that!!

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:05 am

*nods*
And when it comes to religious beliefs, sometimes it's really difficult to answer questions or explain concepts in twenty five words or less, KWIM? I think that's one of the major reasons that religious discussions in particular can be so inflammatory.

But I think I was referring more to preconceptions of various religions - along the lines of, "Oh, well, you're a [insert faith here], so you would believe [x]". Depending on the faith in question, outsiders can often have a very inaccurate perception of things. :?