Somebody shoot me please!!!

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
phoenix
Counsellor

Somebody shoot me please!!!

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 pm

OK OK, I BF, but let me say something, so many ppl say that formula doesn't have all the nutrients in it needed for baby, there is NOTHING in BM that scientists can't synthasize, half of the ingredients in BM are not needed and are wasted by the body that is why there are less ingredients in Formula nothing goes wasted, IT IS NOT the formula that does damage to the baby it is the HANDLING and THE WATER being used, in our country there is nothing to worry about the water but you MUST make the formula correctly.
My reply was not very detailed and I tried to keep it simple but seriously I wanted to scream!!!!!! If I wasn't feeling so sick I'd have made more of an effort. Anyone got some good comebacks???
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Thats not what the top researchers in the field of lactation say...
damn human evolution spend 30 million years trying to get human milk perfect and science can copy it perfectly in 50 years...

still thinking :wink:

oh is that why some breastfed babies don't get enough poo for every day?? not enough waste products.
I thought they were still discovering new facts about BM every study??

Actually studies have proved that there are no transferrence factors in formula to assist with, say the iron. there is very little iron in breastmilk compared to formula but 99% of it is absorbed, compared to approx 25% in formula. but 'I' agree that the formula has to be made according to directions and just before a feed as per food safety regulations.
Last edited by Little Tiggermum on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:25 pm

LOL Myrna that's hilarious. I wish sarcasm worked on that forum. I have learnt a lot about tact and how to get my opinion across on that forum but gee wizz.
I am proud of this women. She FF 2 kids and still went back to try to BF the third time and has so far succeeded. She is a fantastic role model for other women who didn't BF but could try again-just wish she hadn't posted that so I didn't have to disagree with her.

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I know...those two were for us
:-D
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Sorry didn't see the rest of the post when I replied.
I did mention the poo thing and the absorption of nutrients.

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:46 pm

maybe pick on one point about her post that you agree with and tell her why you agree...and only throw in incidental bF information somewhere

like with the dangers of making up bottles in advance( rising levels of bacteria) or carrying around made up bottles out of a fridge...or even reusing bottles if they haven't finished a bottle...thank god you (I) don't have to worry about this while breastfeeding etc etc.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Probably not worth mentioning on that forum, but in response to the comment that
there are less ingredients in Formula nothing goes wasted, IT IS NOT the formula that does damage to the baby it is the HANDLING and THE WATER being used, in our country there is nothing to worry about the water but you MUST make the formula correctly.
I have 2 comments. First, has that person looked at the side of a formula can at the list of ingredients! :shock: And secondly, their statement about the formula being safe has been proven untrue in the past - I once found a metal blade (like a razor blade) in a tin of formula - that brand was subject to a serious health and safety recall because HUNDREDS of tins were contaminated and several babies were hospitalised after consuming (properly-handled) formula laced with tiny metal fragments. In Australia. Less than 4 years ago. But as I said, not worth posting - a bit OTT of an example for a mainstream forum. And let's be honest, it's not like it happens every day.

Actually, the more I think about the statement
so many ppl say that formula doesn't have all the nutrients in it needed for baby, there is NOTHING in BM that scientists can't synthasize, half of the ingredients in BM are not needed and are wasted by the body that is why there are less ingredients in Formula nothing goes wasted,
the more I think she's posted in a hurry and gotten it backwards - I've never heard it said that formula doesn't contain sufficient nutrients, but I have heard it said about bm, how many times have mums posted on here that they were told their milk wasn't good enough, or baby needs more nutrients than your bm can provide (especially big or small babies and early intro of solids or recommended comp feeding from HPs).

In terms of a helpful comment to post, my only suggestion is re bio-availability - something like it's better to get your vitamins and minerals from a healthy diet than from supplements, same applies to bm/abm.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing! Now I need to borax my eyes. :shock:

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:57 pm

jeez, that just makes me feel bad - a bf mum deriding bf? Why then is she bf if the ABM is just as good?

I am quite amazed at that comment all round.

I couldn't cope with that at all.

Good on you for helping the other mums at the forum, Anna.

eilis

Post by eilis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Anna,

Have you got a copy of BF matters? it has a really good bit in talking about how ABM companies actually CANT replicate BM. And about how BM is forever changing to suit our LO's needs.

Perhaps tell them about the stuff up in ABM that have occured in the processing and made lots of bubs very sick :wink:
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance” Socrates
Mama to 4

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:49 pm

I wrote an article that deals with just what formula does (specifically to make babies more vulnerable to diarrhoea)...you could always provide a link http://www.ennonline.net/ife/view.aspx?resid=101
Karleen

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone for all that. I haven't posted anything else. The discussion has gone onto how FF mothers don't get info (totally agree that FF info is lacking but wish that they got info re BF first!!) and how BF is pushed to the detriment of babies health. Comments like that to me just highlight how HP's still need educating and some midwives need to learn some tact.
Thanks for that link Karleen. Think the moment to post it has passed but I will certainly be keeping it available for when needed.
Lizzy I don't have a copy of BF matters-It's going on my B'day list this year!!! (and DP will go but you've already read it :roll: )
Now off to do something about this heat-cold shower seems like a good idea

coran
Community Educator

Post by coran » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:38 pm

I was going to try and run up a quick list of what's in BM and not in ABM, or what's different, but well, it would be a long list and others might be better when really, all that can be said is that the quote is completely wrong in almost every particular.
ABA Community Educator, Father of 4.
If you like what we do please consider subscribing and help us keep doing it

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Somebody shoot me please!!!

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 am

What can you do with that? How about quoting it -
phoenix wrote:OK OK, I BF, but let me say something, so many ppl say that formula doesn't have all the nutrients in it needed for baby, there is NOTHING in BM that scientists can't synthasize, half of the ingredients in BM are not needed and are wasted by the body that is why there are less ingredients in Formula nothing goes wasted, IT IS NOT the formula that does damage to the baby it is the HANDLING and THE WATER being used, in our country there is nothing to worry about the water but you MUST make the formula correctly.
- and saying "Is this a typo?"
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)