Please check my reply before posting.

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
charndra1

Please check my reply before posting.

Post by charndra1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 am

For some reason I got pissed by this thread:
http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15907

Obviously as EC is dumped in a controversial basket, what rubbish! PLUS one of the people agreeing was responsible for causing me a lot of problems over it at one point, and it peeves me off... It simply smacks of the concept - "I don't do that, so I don't want to hear about it - it is therefore controversial, and should never be mentioned." That is wrong. It's like the people on the forum not wanting to hear about the risks of ABM, when that would be condemming another mother to possibly dire consequences if she is given the wrong information and weans prematurely for avoidable reasons and gets consequences that could have been mitigated by the simple way of having the FACTS laid out at the proper time, personal decisions can then flow in all awareness and so with less issues later on.

The next extension would be to have ads for ABM for 'balance' and to stop mums feeling bad who need to use it? This would never happen of course as the ABA follows the code (perhaps that could be mentioned in the magazine anyway?)

The 'offence' over something like cloth nappies is sheer rubbish IMO. Good lord, do people need to get offended over everything someone else does differently? What if someone lost five kilos and I jumped there saying "how dare you mention weight loss" as I feel so FAT at the moment, LOL.
I think Essence should only advertise breastfeeding related advertisements and should stay away from contraversial topics like immunisation / cloth vs disposable nappies / Elimination Communication etc.
I can't see how cloth nappies and EC are controversial????? Neither have I seen ads on EC...

Practicing EC HELPED me (and many others) with my breastfeeding relationship - reassured about what was the 'cause' of baby popping on and off, not in any way worrying about my supply, bub's intake, encouraging cue-feeding and general responsiveness and bonding. Denying others this information which may help them - hmmm. Cloth Nappies are an integral part of it, and many parents use cloth nappies without EC - we should only promote commercial ways of caring for hygiene needs perhaps?

Vaccination is of course controversial, but ... don't buy the book - an easy solution. Removing all support for the ABA over their need for funding in our society where I would think it is obvious it is sorely needed, and a few ads for some SAHM's selling cloth nappies (and I guess my article on EC two years ago?)- what next?

I'm certainly not going to jump up and down about a bf cape that I see as not really sending the right message (knowing that is on a societal level!)- but that isn't what it's about - it's about supporting the mum to bf, some mums need them to be able to do so, and other sahm's are running businesses to meet that - and that is great!

I must say I am surprised that there are people here who no longer subscribe to the ABA due to a few ads and articles when there is so much of relevance in there to breastfeeding mothers.

I love the Essence magazine as much as always - relevant stories and information for parents, as opposed to breastfeeding in a bubble which I've noticed some would prefer (over time, not this thread) - but breastfeeding doesn't occur in a bubble - it is a PART of mothering and impacts on many parts of our relationships, so I totally support a range of articles on all sorts of matters even if they don'e apply to me - now - they may one day - amd I gain inspiratio n and enjoy reading of and celebrating the hurdles overcome by other mothers. Before I even began breastfeeding, this gave me encouragement and the knowledge I could bf through early difficulties that are so common. If I don't like an add, so what - I don't read it!
I am so out of practice posting I think! So thought this would be smart, LOL. I really just felt like getting it all out in a blather, LOL.
Last edited by charndra1 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Charndra

I think you should post it. I was one of the people who wrote about being worried about the articles in Essence being a bit of a concern for me. I personally dont have a problem with advertising at all. I dont read it unless I want to buy something then I go out and find info by ads to have a look.

What I get concerned about is I guess a bit of two faced things. The one thing that really got my goat was the cloth versus disposables. It was very one sided. It was all about cloth and even in the benefits of disposables they still had written there but cloth is better. I dont mind a good debate but be fair.

Its the fact also that Essence say we only cover topics that benefit feeding things like that. As you said EC helped you so much with feeding. I didnt know that as I havent looked into it, so I definitely think your reply will help some of us a little more ignorant :D

I dont have a problem with advertising and articles and stories that dont have anything to do with breastfeeding in Essence. What I have a problem with is them choosing some and not others. If they are going to start having "select" topics that arent BF then I think they are going to have to open it up a little more.

Im not explaining this very well :?

But yes definitely post what you have written, thats my 2 cents worth. :-) just trying to explain why I wrote what I wrote and why Essence in my opinion had been lowered.

Barb

MelissaR
Community Educator

Post by MelissaR » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:09 am

It sounds great!
PK: 15.08.04
EK: 29.12.05
SK: 03.11.08
DH: Jason

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:11 am

I wondered about that. I didn't know there had been 'ads for EC' for a start. Just an interesting article in something I'm never going to try. (I'm past the baby stage) In fact, for that reason, I don't look at many ads at all!
Looks like some editing has been happening over there, anyway.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Barbie,
Ahh, I didn't see it that way - (the cloth article which I'd forgotten was in there recently!)
I can see how it could be seen that way - but see it as simply the author's POV. That's what each article is really - something by an author - and any member can write and submit something that in some way relates "to breastfeeding, birth, pregnancy, parenting, child health and family relationships" (to quote the guidelines as they are right on my desk having just read essence!)- rather than being official "ABA" material, if that makes sense. Such is on the site and bboks, booklets.

Perhaps that is a distinction that can be pointed out - it is a bf related magazine produced by the ABA, in line with policies and so on - but the articles are by individual Mums, with their own POV they wish to share, take it or leave it!!

Each article has a slant - and it usually is a POV of course - so the Baby led weaning article wasn't all for using purees to begin solids for example.

There was one on TV in which virtually eveyone got rid of their TV! That wasn't what I expected at all! Didn't bother me, as I know it was 'talking' to other families, telling them what they wanted or needed to hear. I wouldn't want such an article to not exist as I have a tv and watch it! I get the impression that this is the feeling of some folks - and denying of info always scares me.

It is tricky I guess as the money is needed, but so long as ABA policies and the Code are not breached, perhaps everything else is fair game?

I agree with you on enjoying a range of topics related to issues we have to consider as parents, that is helpful. Anyone can submit articles - perhaps no-one is submitting articles on some topics. Even so, there are always responses by mums about using scheduling and crying methods of sleep training, so I see there is balance in that area for example as one that people do gripe about - the ABA being 'too into gentle techniques' (which is a baffling condemnation imo!).

As meme said elesewhere, such things are topical as they impact on breastfeeding - usually requireing cutting back, sheduling or termination of bf in order to "work" - so therefore are an are that the articles may well comment on!

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 am

Yikes, don't think I'll post there now! Leave it as a waffle in here, LOL.

Well, I put a different response in there, skipped a lot of the rambling on. LOL.
I wondered about that. I didn't know there had been 'ads for EC' for a start. Just an interesting article in something I'm never going to try. (I'm past the baby stage) In fact, for that reason, I don't look at many ads at all!
So, why don't others have your simple approach, Carrie? LOL - I just can't fatham getting het-up over such things I guess! Although I got het-up over the argument, silly me, LOL!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:11 am

I love this section you can have several differing opinions and no fights :D

This is going to sound awful ad Im not proud :oops: I didnt think about the guidelines surroundng essence. When I first started with ABA in my group there was a discussion regarding Essence. I was new so didnt know half the stuff tey were talking about :-) Quite a few members were saying how Essence isnt allowed to discuss this and that and going through all the rules that apply. And I think I took that as gospel instead of actually looking into it myself. It made sense in some ways to me because our group is very strict in the sense that everything is monitored very closely about what you say and what you discuss. I know for a fact that its driven a few people that I know from ever coming back. But thats another story for another day! But its why I thought that essence would be the same IYKWIM?

Barb

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 pm

I know it's been said a fair bit lately, but the tone of several threads is causing me to be very selective about what and where I post. There are a few very sensitive individuals atm who seem to take offense at almost anything that is not their own personal POV. Dunno what to do about it, except surround myself with people who have their own POV and still respect my right to have one too and yet miraculously we can all be nice to each other - oh wait, that's you guys!
Charndra, nice to see you again. It saddens me to say that I don't think your post would make much difference in that thread - as wonderful as I think your comments above are.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 pm

hey chandra, i love your comment about a breastfeeding bubble. i really wouldn't want to read essence if that's all it was.

i love that all sorts of things can be talked about and advertised. i do look at parenting ads, and am a susceptible sort of person in some ways, i mean i will look at the ad and consider if it's aproduct that may or may not appeal/help me.

if the ad doesn't breach the code, or promote a practice that may be detrimental to breastfeeding, i think it's fair to put it in essence, especially if readers might find it interesting or helpful.

truth is some parents may want information on this subject, so i think it's a fair market. i don't understand the big deal over it.
i also noticed the grouped together 'controversial' parenting practices. breastfeeding a toddler can be controversial depens who you ask :wink: , but we aren't going to remove references from essence.

i am also upset that people would withdraw support from aba over something like this. but i obviously don't feel so strongly about vax issues. the breastfeeding cause comes first for me :D
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar