Bad bad ABA...

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:43 pm

http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.p ... 018#121018

am i being too....pushy?

it's all starting to annoy me, why can't i (we)speak up and say breastfeedings important, we all know heaps about the health issues involvedetc.

i do sorta agree with matty's mum though, it is a title just asking for someone to have a go, but i so understand why the author would feel like that, i think most of us feel like that, at least some of the time when dealing with breastfeeding advocacy.

and if i have confused anyone, this is a different thread. i thought the other was being handled brilliantly actually -thumbs up- :-)
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar

ella

Post by ella » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:25 pm

I give up...seriously it's too hard.

That thread made me uncomfortable. I understand & support that we need to appeal to a wider audience, but I HATE the way that disscussion was presented! Why did it have to be NEGATIVE? why not just suggest POSITIVE changes?

Why even mention AP?

What suggestions did they make other than removing the heavy AP slant? I don't even know what they want to see? all I felt was my parenting style being devalued.

I need a break...
R 28/9/06 A 29/12/09

"The time in your arms, at your breast and in your bed is such a relatively short time, but your message of love and availability will last a lifetime"
Dr William Sears

Nell

Post by Nell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 pm

I am all riled up................I just read the BF nazi thread - AARRRRFGHetkhtiorgnikfdgnjrf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was said by...guess...
But I do spend a bit of effort trying to make breastfeeding appealing to all women, that's probably why I find it easier to see it from the point of view of people who are anti-b/f.
To ALL women????? I find that SOOOOOO offensive. I have just spent the last three weeks and all night last night, from 7 pm - 12am and more time in teh coming months, I'm sure, planning and producing an appropriate and enjoyable Breastfeeding Education class. (oh and the last 17 months training, learning, working on other ABA related things)I haven't just invited a CERTAIN type of woman along to anything I do as a ABA volunteer and passionate breastfeeding advocate/support worker, I will be addressing AAAALLLL types of women. And all this work is in my own time, with no pay, just like all of the other hard working "Extreme breastfeeding advocates" :evil: :evil: :evil: There is no emoticon to illustrate how extremely angry and frustrated and upset I am about this post, and all the others from previous days.
My little boy was born 21 March, 2005

~~*Buddha's mumma~~*

Post by ~~*Buddha's mumma~~* » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Congrat's & thank you for all the hard work you do Nell take pride in knowing that because of the hard work you do breast feeding is more likely to be considered the easiest option because mothers, fathers & the general public will have the knowledge & education to to make it work. It is the people who are passionate about protecting breast feeding, people like yourself & many more here, give me the courage & strength to keep going too.
ImageImage

jennylee
Site Admin

Post by jennylee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:36 am

Sorry skimming this thread, then got caught reading end of the main thread..

I probably shouldn't bring this up in public area as admin as it will inflame things..., but if any of you want to... do a search on the aba website for attachment. You will find only 1 article even mentions attachment parenting. Every other mention of attachment is in relation to attaching baby to breast..

now I have wasted tonight and not done any updates to the website :(

keep at it ladies :)
Australian Breastfeeding Association
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au

Nell

Post by Nell » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:22 am

Thats fabulous Jenny - can someone mention that in the thread?? Please?? That is the kind of clear examples that thread needs.

Saffsmum
Site Admin

Post by Saffsmum » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 am

Hello all you wonderful women!

How lovely to come back after a break and see you all hard at it - ](*,) :lol: - some of you may remember my altercation with the difficult one some time ago. I noticed this line in one of her posts on page 2:
It makes me sad that breastfeeding advocates are going to have that negative label compounded when I just want to do everything I can to bridge this divide.

If you have such a strong passion, have you considered approaching your local health system, the hospital, mchns, etc about providing them with knowledge about breastfeeding?
I once asked her (very kindly and gently) to get involved in ABA as she was obviously passionate about breastfeeding too. Her response was along the lines of "I don't have time, looking after 3 kids" blah blah blah...a very aggro cop out response as I recall.

Anyone want to use her quote above to make the suggestion again?

A measly bit of funding to the hotline. It's better than nothing, but mums need real people with extensive knowledge and experience at their beck and call.
And this one from page 4. Soooo...ABA trained BC's and CE's are not REAL people with REAL extensive knowledge??????? :evil:

Anyway, I am feeling pretty emotionally fragile atm due to some personal stuff going on, so I won't be popping up on the main forum for a bit, but I will be reading!!!

Keep up the great work - you are all so wonderful and passionate! :smt049
S :D

eilis

Post by eilis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Im feeling some bravery coming on! after ella just got slammed :( hugs ella! and nell, hugs for you too!

mind if I use some of your points saffsmum?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance” Socrates
Mama to 4

eilis

Post by eilis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:20 pm

*hiding* waiting to be shot down in flames :roll:
Mama to 4

ella

Post by ella » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:59 pm

Slammed? nah that was nothing...I grew up with a BIG brother...plus I've got one heck of a rod in my back!!!

I don't think she liked being told to get of her computer chair (ar*e) & actually do something positive like join the ABA!

I'm so sick of her picking my posts apart...notice she ALWAYS ignores my positive suggestions...she twists my words to prove her point that we're ALL pushy BF advocates & the cause of all the worlds problems...GRRR!!!

I re-posted!!! he he...that's going to make her cranky for sure!!!
R 28/9/06 A 29/12/09

"The time in your arms, at your breast and in your bed is such a relatively short time, but your message of love and availability will last a lifetime"
Dr William Sears

ella

Post by ella » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:23 pm

Now she's tryng to stir up trouble on my "sharing beautiful Bf moments" thread (messages to admin & Mod section) Grrrr!!!!

She's SO farking NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine what she said to Milly????

Dear Milly,

I know how you feel. That ella is a real bully! She makes people Bf & if they can't or don't want to she makes them feel GUILTY!!!!

How dare she!!!

I've got a good idea...why don't you join my bag the ABA club!! we meet everyday over at the Nestle forum!!!

Love isas

Grrrr!!!!!!
R 28/9/06 A 29/12/09

Dr William Sears

Nell

Post by Nell » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Funny ella!!

I find it very interesting that she said that you never give her the respect she gives you by refusing to answer her questions, when at the same time, she totally missed your question of asking what it is she (or people like her) actually do.... (well your implication of a question..) SHE just sought out something to pick on you about without actually considering the content....what the....????

Pot calling the Kettle black - the only time I notice her around the forum si when there is a "controversial" thread. She doesn't seem to post on the support ones at all. :x

Rosie Posie

Post by Rosie Posie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Ella combined with the telling off that she gave me via PM for expressing my views, it makes you wonder what she is getting up to behind the scenes.

I know this is a funny thing to ask, but does my point about advertising never reaching everybody make sense? Nobody has addressed it on that tread and I think that it is very relevant to the discussion that we are having. Perhaps I have not written it in a negative enough tone to get anybodies interest up?
Mum of two precious children

DS 13/05/05
DD 14/12/07

eilis

Post by eilis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:42 pm

Nell wrote:Pot calling the Kettle black - the only time I notice her around the forum si when there is a "controversial" thread. She doesn't seem to post on the support ones at all. :x
Yes, Im always wondering why she always pops up and just stirs on these threads :?
Im soo mad that she whining about ABA and really has no idea abot the Assoc. or what hard work we all do :evil:
How many of us have or are studying for months and years to give our own time! and all she can do is pick and whinge!

Thanks for the funny post ella! cheered me up somewhat :D

p.s. just noticed that milly is logged in
Mama to 4

Nell

Post by Nell » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Rowan I was just about to make a comment about your post as I think it is totally relevant but I deleted it as I wasn't making much sense (surprise surpprise) I think it is a tricky issue - same with any type of product which requires promotion - finding the target. The thing is, ABA's target is ALL women (a term we have been hearing so mcuh of lately!) and I agree - how impossible? I know she doesn't want to hear us talk about our groups anymore (and isn't that helpful... :roll: ) but we are constantly getting new people in our groups and we have a MASSIVE waiting list for our BEC's - we can't be putting off too many people. People that are being turned off are people that already have their minds made up -someone here has said that already.

Thanks Buddhas mummy for your kind words and the spirit boost! :)