Thread to watch

for threads that need to be deleted from the advocacy area in the future (time to be advised)
coran
Community Educator

Post by coran » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 am

cAtdraco wrote:FWIW, I actually didn't interpret her statement that way - it only came across to me as a poor choice of example when explaining that anyone can justify anything by saying they believe God says it's okay. The moment I saw the example, though, I thought "uh-oh..."
I agree. She did lump them together as examples of 'things god doesnt like', but I don't think that she was saying that they're as bad as each other. Still, some people might find that even mentioning them in the same sentence is offensive, especially if they're sensitive to that sort of thing. She could have chosen a better example, like pork or shellfish.
cAtdraco wrote:Difficulties are always going to arise when religion is discussed in an open forum. Quite apart from the differences in what people believe, there's always a certain amount of misunderstanding about what it is that people actually believe.
Yes.
ABA Community Educator, Father of 4.
If you like what we do please consider subscribing and help us keep doing it

goldnugget

Post by goldnugget » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 pm

coran wrote:
cAtdraco wrote:FWIW, I actually didn't interpret her statement that way - it only came across to me as a poor choice of example when explaining that anyone can justify anything by saying they believe God says it's okay. The moment I saw the example, though, I thought "uh-oh..."
I agree. She did lump them together as examples of 'things god doesnt like', but I don't think that she was saying that they're as bad as each other. Still, some people might find that even mentioning them in the same sentence is offensive, especially if they're sensitive to that sort of thing. She could have chosen a better example, like pork or shellfish.
cAtdraco wrote:Difficulties are always going to arise when religion is discussed in an open forum. Quite apart from the differences in what people believe, there's always a certain amount of misunderstanding about what it is that people actually believe.
Yes.
That was me who was offended and rightly so. Is this supposed to be a private part of the forum for moderators only?