Escaping my brain

Sexual, physical and/or emotional abuse can unfortunately enter our lives at any time. Many people suffered as a child, for others the abuse only enters their lives as adults. Sometimes it is our loved ones suffering. Often pregnancy or the birth of a child can trigger these events. Substance abuse often plays a part. Your situation may be such that you need to talk to your health professional, or the police, but just telling someone who will listen can be helpful. We are not trained experts in this area of life, but we offer this forum as a supportive environment for you if and whenever you need it. No matter whether the abuse is new to your life, if it happened years ago, or has been ongoing - we are here to listen. *Please remember this is a public forum when posting details about yourself and your situation.
Penguin

Escaping my brain

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Feeling ragingly incompetent and lacking in resilience. Logically I know I shouldn't think this, but yet here we are. Why can't I escape my own brain? Why can't I keep my shit together ?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Parla.
Counsellor

Re: Escaping my brain

Post by Parla. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Sorry you're having a craptastic time. "This too shall pass?"
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

kingofthedivan

Post by kingofthedivan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:18 pm

i'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way, i think i recognise that frustrated feeling too.
The research by Brene Brown on the incredible similarities btw vulnerability and courage got me thinking about those moments when i lose my shit and then instantly feel ashamed that can't keep it together. Because if my friend told me the stories that I'm telling myself, I'd say she was being brave. But for myself, I say all this emotional hoohah and vulnerability is getting me nowhere.
And sometimes knowing that all this feeling is totes illogical and counterproductive makes it all worse because somehow the stakes are higher when you care so much. So please be kind to youself, cos you're awesome.
Would it be possible to tell the people near you that Arbitrary Vague Yet Benevolent Deity requires everyone to be gentle with Penguin so she can likewise be gentle to herself? (or face the wrath and possible smiting by aforementioned AYVBD)

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Because it's the end of the year and it's seriously nuts?? Hugs Penguin.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:24 pm

We all ebb and flow in terms of resilience - being tired, run down, pressured all mean that a tiny thing can get to us more than usual. Says the woman who was nearly blubbing watching ballet rehearsals on Saturday :oops: :roll:

I'd suggest you probably are keeping your shit together but it feels like only 'just' when you'd rather have a bit more margin for error. Anyway, if you need something to do, make a list of essentials and inessentials, then draw a big X through the inessentials - you know the drill. Simple meals, edit down the social obligations, chill out with the kids and simplify their routine (extra playschool FTW). And be kind to yourself. You're tops. We all think so, and dozens of forumites can't be wrong, right? 8)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:36 pm

I blame 'end of yr itis'. So much to do, not quite enough time to do it.
I write to do lists for each day on my white board & cross off as I go.
I get vague when I'm tired & busy. Not a good combo. I still don't know where I put the container of DS2s uneaten school snack or the paper towel I got out to put egg shells from boiled eggs in. Little things but frustrating!
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

It's like we're the same person in different skin, my friend. I'm having similar challenges. I know all about mindfulness, CBT, etc, and I know I should be using them, but sometimes it's all just too much and woe is me is easier. I hate it. I really do.

Big hugs, and lots of gentle care and compassion coming your way. Send them back when you're done, though. :wink:

(And for those who are a bit concerned I'm being flippant, I'm not. I think Penguin knows that.)
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:16 pm

I'm sorry things are still hard for you. Others have great suggestions, I just wanted to add that it's ok to not be resilient all the time and to lean on people until you're back on your feet. I'm not sure what your circumstances are (and not prying) - but would you expect someone else to be coping differently / better under the same conditions? Be gentle with yourself.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu