Bfeeding strike after injury... Help pls

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
warlockgirl

Bfeeding strike after injury... Help pls

Post by warlockgirl » Sun May 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Looking for some help or tips to try to get my one year old back to breastfeeding .... Four days ago she fell over and cut her tongue badly. While we were at the hospital I tried nursing her as she was hungry ... Bad move ! She screamed the place down in pain....... Now she hasn't even tried feeding since then ( except a couple of nusling episodes but didn't try to latch ) she gets very upset when u try to get her to nurse and even trying to get her to take a feed in ether a bottle or sippy cup is hard. She is back to eating solids as normal so her tongue can't be as sore? Anyone got any tips or gone through similar ? I don't want to stop bfeeding just yet :(

Nedsmum

Re: Bfeeding strike after injury... Help pls

Post by Nedsmum » Sun May 10, 2015 5:27 pm

I expect her to tongue is still sore... Is she having fluids out of a normal cup?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

warlockgirl

Post by warlockgirl » Sun May 10, 2015 6:07 pm

She won't drink out a cup unless u leave her with it and don't help her..... But she will just tip it on the floor and not drink any :( .... I think I can count on my hand how many times she has ever drunk outta cup. I was expecting it's still sore... I was told a week until it's healed .
Last time she had a nursing strike she went two weeks ! And that wasn't as bad :( ,

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sun May 10, 2015 7:28 pm

What did you do when she had that last strike??
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun May 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Little Tiggermum wrote:What did you do when she had that last strike??
How old is she now?

:-)

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

warlockgirl

Post by warlockgirl » Sun May 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Last time she just started feeding again ..... Had tried everything , she was three or four months old , I was talking to a nurse ( as we had been admitted to hospital as at that time I couldn't get her to drink anything) my daughter was lying on a pillow and my boob was out and she just suddenly latched ... Then never looked back and has been great to until now. I don't know how I am going to repeat the same thing now she's 13months and on the go all the time .( she's one year old corrected as she was a preemie )

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Mon May 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Could you try offering a feed whilst she is asleep? Like a dream feed? Maybe once her tongue isn't sore anymore? Just a thought, and I hope you can figure out a way forward together!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014