Biting..

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
tam185

Biting..

Post by tam185 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi there
My 6 mo DS got his first two bottom teeth at 5 months. I think he is teething again now...he has been irritable, red cheeks, chewing like a madman and whingey. Over the last two days he has just started to bite me. It hurts. I don't know quite what to do. I yelled no and he stopped and looked at me all worried. Now today he is being ultra fussy and been biting every feed. Then refusing. He has not had a good feed today. I expressed a little and used a syringe...then bottle fed him so I could get some into him. He is eating a little solid food here and there but does gain much weight, he has dropped back to the tenth percentile......so Im Anxious about getting my milk and food into him.

If he refuses....what do I do? Should I keep expressing and bottle feeding? Or is this setting up for more refusal??? As he will get used to the bottle. It's really distressing me as I want to keep feeding....but certainly can't handle the biting.

This post is a little all over the place....maybe I should call for advice....hmmmmm. I'm getting nervous about the next feed....but I know this won't help.....

Any advice??

strolltotheshops

Re: Biting..

Post by strolltotheshops » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:30 pm

I've found that mine have only been able to bite, or even to hurt me with teeth indents, if I've become a bit slack with attachment (of their mouth to the breast) and positioning (of their body tucked in nice and close to mine).

This page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... aby/biting might give you some ideas also.

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi tam :D

Ouch, biting sucks. It's quite a common phase when babies start teething unfortunately. When DD went through it around 8-9 months I found a few things that worked...

I first tried to work out when she was biting and try to prevent it from happening. Ocassionally it was at the beginning of a feed as she latched on if she was really hungry, so I tried to feed her before she got to that stage. And as I was attaching her I would say "gentle gentle" to remind her not to bite which helped. But mostly it was when she was done, she would pull off and then go to re-attach and bite as she latched on again, so I quickly learnt not to re-attach her.

When she did bite I tried not to react too much (difficult I know!). I removed her with a firm "no biting, that hurts. Be gentle please" and put her down for a bit before trying again.

I know it can be awful waiting in anticipation for a bite, I used to keep my little finger hovering near her mouth so I could quickly break the seal and remove her when I needed to. The phase lasted less than a month, so it did pass! With some patience and persistence.

The link strolltotheshops have you is a good one. I would also suggest calling the helpline, the counsellors will be able to offer some suggestions. Things like giving bub a cool teething ring to chew on before a feed, and feeding when you are both relaxed (like in the bath or just waking from a nap or during the night) can help when baby is fussy or refusing. You might also want to check out the information on breast refusal on the website (sorry, on my phone so I can't link to it).

Hope this helps a little. Let us know how you go :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:10 am

how's it going?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

hayzlenutt

Post by hayzlenutt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:06 pm

We experienced biting too, only with teething. And she's stopped doing it altogether now, canines came through with no biting, so it doesn't last forever.

Have a think about when your bub does it and that might help you form a strategy. For example my bub did it towards the end of feeds, so once she bit, I said feed over. If she then asked for more, I said only if she didn't bite and gave her another chance. Bit me twice, all over no matter what the protest (that's kinda what I do in general with undesirable behaviour).

Unfortunately, saying no and yelling can sometimes cause breast refusal. If it hasn't resolved itself, I think you should talk to a counselor for help.

Good luck!

tam185

Post by tam185 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi ladies.
Thanks for your help and advice. I ended up email counselling as the hotline was so busy when I called. The counsellor was helpful. The biting has eased....for now, he only did it for a few says in the end, but I'm still struggling with daytime feeds. He just doesn't seem as hungry.it just seems like a drastic change in his feeding times....as I feel like im done now within 5-10mins he has had enough and he gets irritated and wants to hop down and play, I guess maybe as he has increased food intake, he may not be as hungry.

I am getting him weighed tomorrow, so that will tell me how things are going.
I Was worried that when I yelled at him no that I scared him......and maybe this has added to it, but he drinks fine at night, he actually seems to make up for it at night....little monkey keeping me up 2-3 times. I try to only feed him at 11 ish and 3 ish....or roughly 3-4 hours apart whatever the time is.

The beauty of breastfeeding hey.....just keeps you questioning what you're doing and if you're doing it right, I constantly feel worried about feeding him....and hoping he gets enough. Especially now he is so distracted out in public.....I just can't feed him out and about much.....unless he is starving!!!

Anyway, thanks again and reading my waffle....

Let's hope for a great weight gain tomorrow :)
Cheers
Tam

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Glad the biting has eased :D

The distracted behaviour sounds very similar to my DS! From about 6 months I couldn't feed him in public either, he flat out refused. During the day the only times he'd feed were when he was just waking from a nap, in the darkened bedroom. And if he could hear anyone talking or moving around, forget it. The world was much too exciting. He fed a bit overnight to make up for it, and he also LOVED his solids. He ate phenomenal amounts right from when we started giving him food.

Often babies that age are super quick to breastfeed anyway. 5 mins was a long feed for both mine at 6 months, more commonly it was 2 mins!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

fellare

Post by fellare » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I think everything about children keeps you questioning, not just breastfeeding. They get quicker with age and I think once they get the hang of solids, when like a year plus, they start to have drinks and feeds. At least, mine did. Suddenly I had feeds that would last only half a minute and others were proper feeds of 2 minutes. Now at 3 he's got it to a fine art. 3 second drinks and 30 second feeds. But it's clear he still gets a decent amount, cause when I don't feed him he'll drink half a liter of soy milk.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

tam185

Post by tam185 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Thankyou for the reassurance! At least I know it's all sounding pretty normal :) good news is I had him weighed today and he has put on 482 grams in 5 weeks...so it's an improvement.

Thanks again