Please help!

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
peneva

Please help!

Post by peneva » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:04 pm

My 9 week old is getting fussier and fussier with breastfeeding. She only feeds using nipple shields as she can't latch properly. She also has her evening feeds of expressed milk from a bottle.

Over the last couple of weeks she has gotten fussier with her feeding. It began with her latching on and drinking for a minute or two before pulling off and crying and arching her back. It has progressed to the point where I can't even get her to latch on anymore. I have to give her a few sucks of a bottle before I wuickly swap her onto the breast. She will then feed for 10-20 minutes with no problems and she looks satisfied.

Why won't she latch on to begin with? What can I do? She also has a dummy which was only introduced about a week ago, could this cause problems? She also currently has thrush which she is being treated for but this doesn't seem to hurt her as she bottle feeds no problem.

I don't want this to be the end of our breast feeding relationship and I don't want to have to pump full time! Please help!

fellare

Re: Please help!

Post by fellare » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Big hugs! That sound quite a challenge. Have you called the help line, or seen someone regarding the latch? There can be many things going on.
are you treated for thrush? It can often go from nipple to mouth, to nipple, to mouth, unless you treat both.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Nicwwjd

Re: Please help!

Post by Nicwwjd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 pm

That sounds like it is really hard and stressful for you- but well done on finding a way to get her to latch and then feed! I remember having to do similar for a few days with my DS- but did a quick dummy- for- boob swap!

I would second calling the helpline for advice- they are really helpful and might be able to give you some more pointers.

Keep up your great work- you're doing a great job!