Plane refusal

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
ClOuD_NiNe

Plane refusal

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:49 pm

We're off on holiday! The 2nd leg of the journey today was a 4 hour flight. DD was tired and needed a nap but refused ALL boob for the entire flight! I felt lost, how am I supposed to soothe my little boobaholic if she refuses to feed?? :( thank goodness for the carrier, she was happy to fall asleep in that. But the descent was awful. She was sick last week and is still all congested, refused boob, food and water, and instead proceeded to scream for the entire descent. I assume her ears were hurting (I had trouble unblocking mine!) but she also hated being strapped in to the infant seatbelt.

The older gentleman across the aisle smiled and told me I was doing a great job which was nice! Thank goodness we don't fly very often, we flew with DS at about this age and it was a disaster! I reckon from the time they're mobile until about the age of 2.5-3 years should be a "no-go" age for travel unless absolutely necessary!!

DS on the other hand was a complete angel... Hubby got the "good" child, haha. At least we're here now and can enjoy our weekend with friends before another flight on Monday.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

adk

Re: Plane refusal

Post by adk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Poor things!! Plane travel with little ones is a nightmare. Hope the trip back is ok.
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 pm

ClOuD_NiNe wrote:Thank goodness we don't fly very often, we flew with DS at about this age and it was a disaster! I reckon from the time they're mobile until about the age of 2.5-3 years should be a "no-go" age for travel unless absolutely necessary!!
Uh-huh. Glad the gentleman across the aisle acutally was a gentleman!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:51 am

Do you have a saline drops or nasal spray? They are not 'medicine' but can definitely help with unblocking everything.
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Nedsmum wrote:Do you have a saline drops or nasal spray? They are not 'medicine' but can definitely help with unblocking everything.
Yep I've got saline spray and a snot sucker (technical term for it! Haha, not the bulb aspirator but the sucker with filter). It did clear her nose to some extent but she was pretty congested. So was I and I could feel the pressure in my sinuses, but I had gone to the pharmacy and gotten some cold and flu tablets (real ones!) specifically for the descent, so glad I did! Unfortunately can't give anything like that to DD though!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker