1 year old refusing feeds :(

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Briggy

1 year old refusing feeds :(

Post by Briggy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm not ready to wean my baby boy, but he has started refusing feeds. He's never been a good sleeper, he wakes every 3 hours and has been since birth, but since refusing feeds he's been sleeping until 5 am with a dream feed at 10pm and then sleeping until 6:30. Loving the extra sleep, but not the engorged boobs. I normally feed him back to sleep when he wakes but he barely feeds when he does now, even before naps. He won't have any feeds in between either. Could it just be teeth? He's only got 4 so far, and not eating many solids this pass week with a lot of bad nappies...I guess I'll keep persevering, but I'm hoping to feed him 2 years like I did with my first.
ImageImage

adk

Re: 1 year old refusing feeds :(

Post by adk » Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Briggy,
Unfortunately, i will confess that my DD lost interest at 13 months and i was not able to get her back to the boob, but having said that, i really didn't try too hard at that stage as i was happy to follow her lead. However, i have subsequently read lots of other people's threads that said that their babies were less interested in feeding around the 12 - 15 month mark but they persevered and when they got through it the babies went on to feed until 2 or more with a vengeance!! So i don't think the behavior is that unusual for that age group, and from what i have read it does pass and bubs is likely to be a very keen feeder in the future, but hopefully someone will come along and let you know how best to get through it, Good luck!!
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

clairek766

Post by clairek766 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:51 pm

My boy was not that I treated from about 12-15 months, had me very concerned.
But at about 15 months, as am lovely people on this forum had suggested, h came back with a vengeance lol!
If you are worried about supply perhaps try offering a bit more through the day?

clairek766

Post by clairek766 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:51 pm

My boy was not that interested from about 12-15 months, had me very concerned.
But at about 15 months, as am lovely people on this forum had suggested, h came back with a vengeance lol!
If you are worried about supply perhaps try offering a bit more through the day?