is it just witching hour or what?

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Snake Hips Mcroy

Re: is it just witching hour or what?

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:08 am

Not sure if this is any consolation or not... My ds2 is about 15 weeks I think

I don't have any supply issues, but my son often goes *ballistic* in the witching hour. Screaming, tears (real tears!), too sad to suckle, arching back etc. He will settle if I give him a bath, but then getting out of the bath and dressed is a disaster! Thankfully it doesn't happen every night now. The main thing I have figured out is that a late nap can help - I think the evening grizzle is caused by over tiredness. If he has a nap from say 5pm-6pm, awake from 6-7pm, then bed any time after that, things work a bit better. If he's awake from say 4pm, or only has a 20 min nap, the evening is a write off!

The thing that has really helped me this time is that I'm a second time mum. I can look at my 3 year old and see a beautiful, sleeping-all-night, pleasant, affable little boy, and know in my bones that these difficult baby times really will pass. It's tempting to try and 'diagnose' the baby with something, but a lot of the time, I think they're just being a normal baby but we adults find their behaviour difficult and confronting.
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

kingofthedivan

Re: is it just witching hour or what?

Post by kingofthedivan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:03 pm

yankee, yeah the side switching seems to be the trick... not a silver bullet, but def helping me cope. also, i'm sure it's related to her latch. She's always had trouble getting enough areola in her mouth, ithink it's my relatively flat nipples,but as she's grown her suck is stronger and she's drawing more boob into her mouth. I'm trying the teapot hold onmy nipple to get it in, and the deep latch technique from this pump station website http://youtu.be/7FJuBn2bgNk helped enormously. just gotta keep trying.

fellare thanks for the reminders, it's very reassuring. i knew from previous research that yes, boobs refill quite a bit in 20 mins, and that babies take the same amount 6weeks or 6months, but somehow in the face of completely different advice I totally forgot. Most of my reluctance to FF was the effect it might have on my supply, but i also thought it might be an ego thing on my part, afraid of not being able to feed my baby enough, and "blaming my boobs". a dangerous trap to fall into, so ta for pulling me out :D as you say, i think overtiredness is a factor too.

snake hips it is consoling! thank you :) i'm going to try the nap early, nap often today. currently DD is asleep in the baby carrier still on me while i'm on the couch. i've found the gentle bath calming until drying and dressing time too. all in all i'm putting it down to purple crying, ie, normal baby behaviour, and appreciating the pointy end of my own learning curve.