Refusing the left

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Yankee

Refusing the left

Post by Yankee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 am

As I've mentioned in another thread, DD is going through a fussy phase. And now to add to this, she's become extra fussy on the left side! At some feeds there's no problem, but at others if I try to start her on the left she just screams and arches. It's very fickle - one time I put her on the right first and she fed, then accepted the left no problems. Another time I started on to e right but could only get her to feed from the left in football hold, and even then she was still very fussy (football hold isn't great for us, I find it very hard to angle correctly and I can't do it at all upstairs in the rocker).

Unfortunately I can't just start her on the right every time because my left is starting to get blocked ducts fairly regularly, so I have to make sure it's well drained.

I'm not sure what I'm asking or if I'm asking anything. I'm hoping this phase passes but feeling a bit bewildered. She doesn't seem to have an ear ache. Maybe muscle aches? She's working so hard rolling over all day long, although she doesn't seem to favour one side or another.

Sigh, I hope these four month monsters pass soon!
DD born September 2013

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 am

how would you feel about seeing a chiro or osteopath for a check up. torticollis is one of the many reasons babies have trouble attaching, and often is only discovered down the track. I haven't tried it with my kids, but have friend who had a lot of trouble feeding her son, and it was helped majorly by a chiro visit. let me know and I can send you some place suggestions that I've heard of in Melbourne.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:12 pm

I don't think it's that, she doesn't favour one side or appear to have crooked alignment. Whatever it is, it's not very extreme, because most feeds she's ok on the left. It only seems to crop up if she's already upset or impatient.

So far so good today. Overnight she had a nice thorough feed from the left which cleared up the sore ducts, thank goodness! And I started her on the left for an extra feed or two today to make sure it stays that way.
DD born September 2013

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Just thought I'd update to say I think it was just a phase. My letdown is a bit slower on the left so maybe that's what was frustrating her.
DD born September 2013

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Good to hear Yankee!! x
:-D
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)