Fussy 6mth old

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Saff

Fussy 6mth old

Post by Saff » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

I haven't posted in a long time but I need a little help! I was given fantastic advice when asking about returning to work part time and expressing (and I managed to express and feed DS1 until he self weaned at 14mths!) so I thought I'd come back since DS number 2 is driving me nuts :lol:

He is almost 7 mths and has been really fussy to feed for a few weeks, it sort of coincided with starting BLW. He took to food like a duck to water. I'm feeding before solids and have tried cutting back the food, changing times between feeds/food but he is just fussy, usually on the right breast. Sometimes he will take a full feed from both sides, other times he has one side and fusses on the other or he's just a pain to get any milk into at all. The past few days his late arvo feed has been the worst, leaving me with a sore and engorged right breast, but there is no real pattern to it. He feeds around 4 times a day and one early morning feed (between 3 and 5am). He is gaining weight like a trouper (8.5kg) and has plenty of wet nappies.

Could he just be super efficient now and taking more in less time? I feed in a dark room with minimal distractions but once he's done then there's nothing I can do to coax him back on. I'm talking back arching, pulling away, whinging and even screwing up his lips so they aren't near my nipple lol.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated. I am guessing I will have to just wait this out though
:lol:

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:47 pm

they do become more efficient as they grow up. could you perhaps call the helpline and see what they say?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Saff

Post by Saff » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I was thinking of trying the helpline. I will just have to do it when I can distract my 2 year old for a decent amount of time!

I'm hoping he is just more efficient and he is getting annoyed at me trying to get him to drink more. I considered dropping a feed but I'm not at all comfortable with it at his age, 4 feeds a day doesn't seem like much as it is.

Saff

Post by Saff » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Well, he is 7 months old now and still fussy, even flat out refusing at times. No real pattern and some days are better than others. I have spoken to two wonderful ladies on the helpline and have a couple of new things to try.

Has anyone had experience with refusal/fussiness and older babies? I would love to hear whether it got better or just went on until they weaned. I'm afraid he is on the path to early weaning :(

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 pm

DS got super fussy from 6 months on. The only way I could feed him was in a darkened room with no one else around. He also loved solids! By the time he got to 9 months he had pretty much stopped day feeds and was only feeding once or twice overnight. My supply dropped right off at that point and I weaned him at 10 months for unrelated reasons (wanted to TTC again and there was no sign of my cycles returning).

If I had wanted to continue feeding I would probably have just continued to offer like you do in a darkened room and hope he would come back to the breast. At the time I posted on here and a lot of ladies said their bubs did the same at that age, but that if you can make it past a year they often come back with a vengeance!

Sorry that doesn't help much, but it is a very common distractible phase! It's also very likely that he's getting enough milk in a couple of minutes, my DD is almost 10 months and is sometimes done in less than a minute!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Saff

Post by Saff » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, it is reassuring hearing someone else's story! He is in no way dehydrated and still packing on weight so maybe he is just fast, like your bubs.