4 m/o refusing breast, and EBM

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Kristie85

4 m/o refusing breast, and EBM

Post by Kristie85 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:58 pm

My 4 month old has been refusing the breast for about 6 weeks. Since he was born, I had a low supply and he was getting formula top ups after breast feeding. I was doing everything I could to increase my supply. He was gaining a lot of weight so we slowly got him off formula. The in the next 5 weeks of just breastfeeding he didn't gain any weight.
I starting topping him up with formula again. After a few weeks he was fussing at the breast every feed. W a huge struggle to get him to finish his feed. This continued and got worse, and now most of the time he just refuses, and screams until I take him away from the breast.
I was expressing after he drank what he did, to finish emptying my breast. Now he has even starting refusing the EBM. And it's getting harder and harder to get his to drink at all from the breast.
I've spoken to an ABA councillor, tried all their recommendations. Nothing seems to be helping.
I really wanted to keep breastfeeding until he was at least 1. I feel horrible, and neither of us are enjoying feeding times. I struggling to make a final decision to go to just formula feeding. It seems like what he wants, and will make him happier. Is it selfish to try to make him drink what he doesn't want?
I've overcome so many struggles we've had with breastfeeding. I knew it wouldn't be easy, and I was determined to overcome all the problems. I feel like I've failed if I stop :([/list]

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:12 am

Hi Kristie,

I'm sorry nobody has replied to you as yet. I'm so sorry you've been having a difficult time.

4 months old is a difficult age for feeding (I know, I have one!) because they are so distracted and he may find the bottle faster and easier.

We are also having troubles feeding and the thing that has helped the most is working with an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) in person. The helpline is fantastic for answering questions, providing reassurance and support but having someone physically there can be really useful with more complicated problems.

That being said, if you decide to switch to formula you have not failed. It is important to fill his tummy and take care of all his needs. You have to do that the best way you can. Parenting is a long journey and how you feed him now is a tiny part of that.
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!