9 Month old sudden refusal

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
dedicatedmum

9 Month old sudden refusal

Post by dedicatedmum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 am

My DD , Refused BF suddenly last Friday , I've now put it down to my second period returning.
She refused to even take it from a cup or bottle , until yesterday day7.
She drank it from a bottle.
Which she never ever took a bottle much before.
She has been exclusively bf , nothing else.
I'm so so so sad , I've tried skin to skin , bathing with her every night , sleepy feeds , playing with my top off , rocking and holding with top off etc.
She just cries and arches her back , and I have to stop trying as I don't want her to get a negative feeling towards nursing.
I've been expressing 3 times a day , but my supply is taking longer and longer to get , it took me 1.5hrs to get 90mls this morning.
I just don't know what to do, I'm starting to get really stressed about it all and crying a lot.
I don't know how much longer I can keep trying and keep getting rejected.
But at the same time I really want her back feeding but I'm not sure it's worth all my stress.
But in saying that I'm very emotional if this is the end.
any advice or suggestions? :cry: [/b]

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am

oh, hugs, you sound really upset! Breastrefusal is hard to deal with! Good on you for trying so hard!

Have you called the helpline? Have you been to a group meeting? they are free if you're a member, but also free for the first few times when you're not a member. You can always contact the local group leader.

it seems like you are doing all you can, so I'm not sure what I can suggest further.

Is she eating solids? is she still getting enough wet nappies?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

dedicatedmum

Post by dedicatedmum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 am

Yes she's totally into her solids.& having 5 wet nappies a day too.
I just don't know how long I can keep trying , I feel so depressed about the whole thing , day 8 today , feels like forever.
I've called to helpline , they just suggested those things I've already tried.
I'm not sure I have a meeting in my area.

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:38 am

you can look up here who your local group is https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/contacts/groups it should lead you to an email address of a contact person in that group. I think personal support would be really good for this situation.

I'm sorry I can't help you more. There will be others around who can, I am sure!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)