11 month old only feeding during the night, mother bipolar

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Madds83

11 month old only feeding during the night, mother bipolar

Post by Madds83 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:10 am

Hi, I'm hoping for some suggestions, my 11 month old daughter is very distractable and has been refusing the breast during the day for several months now. I wouldn't mind her catching up her feeds overnight but I have bipolar disorder and sleep is pretty crucial for me maintaining my health, obviously with a baby I know to expect some sleep disruptions but this has been happening for a long time now and I'm starting to feel the strain. This is baby number two and she has always been fussy with the breasts, baby number one was a brilliant feeder and slept through at 6 weeks so I've been in for a bit of a shock! I've tried nursing when she's sleepy, in a dark room etc with no success, any advice would be appreciated.

fellare

Post by fellare » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 pm

hugs, it is so hard when they only drink at night! My ds does it at the moment, refuses to drink anything at day care and is attached to me all night :(

He also didn't feed much during the day at around 11 months. I think it stopped by 12 months, though! He was so into playing that he just didn't have time for it.

Do you cosleep? That helps me through the nights. Can you nap when she sleeps, or is that not possible with another child? Or go to bed a bit earlier. I sometimes "sleep" for 10-12 hours, just to counteract the broken sleep.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm a huge fan of co sleeping also.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Madds83

Post by Madds83 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Unfortunately I can't co sleep due to the medication I'm on which makes me drowsy, I feel really sad that we miss out on that experience but it's either that or me being unwell. Thanks for the support, it's nice to know other people have gone through this. I'm really hoping its just a phase and she will come back to day feeding eventually. Saying that today was actually pretty good, I managed to sneak in two quick feeds whilst bubs basically sat on my lap and turned her head with my nipple in her mouth to watch her big sister, not the most comfortable but I'll take what I can get at the moment :-)

Sleeping in the day is a bit impossible too now as my other child is a very active 3.5 year old, I think going to bed early might be the best solution!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I think cosleeping might be worth a try too perhaps?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:12 am

Do you have any backup help from a partner, family member or friend to help you get through the rough patch ? Maybe to get some extra attention for the older one whilst you get a bit of extra rest ?

I remember hitting a really low patch with all my children around 6 weeks and again around 6 months....

Does she get lots of food/drink in from our sources during the day, and only breastfeed overnight ? How many times are you getting up to her overnight ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!