Help needed!!

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
carml013

Help needed!!

Post by carml013 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 am

Ok I have a bit of a conundrum! About a month ago My 4 1/2 month old daughter starting fussing around when I would feed her on my left breast. she then had her immunisations and started fussing on both breasts! Very frustrating but I put it down to her immunisations and just did the best we could. Now we are 3 weeks out from immunisations and this is still happening! More fussing on my left side than the right but she still mucks around a lot! As well as this she is having green frothy poos (sorry for the detail!!). once again I put this down to the immunisations but 3 weeks out and she is still having them!!

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, tips they could offer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

x

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am

Is she more aware of what's going on in her world? I know that from about 5 months my daughter was just too interested in what was going on in the world but hadn't yet developed any self control, so she would always turn around to look at what was going on. Do you think it might be that?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 am

It can be really frustrating when they start mucking around like that. Many mothers find that their hub goes through a really unsettled period around 4 months which lasts longer than previous fussy periods - as Penguin says, they become more aware of what's going on. There is a thread here which has a lot of information and suggestions of how to cope from other mothers, maybe have a read of that and see if it fits with what you are experiencing. http://lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54877
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 am

welcome!

That behavior sounds very frustrating for you. Both the above posters have mentioned some valid points. Something that stands out to me is the green frothy poo. Variation in poo colour itself doesnt normally mean too much but the frothiness indicates there could be a bit of lactose overload going on. I could be way off but it might be worth havign a read and seeing what you think

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... oad-babies

How would you feel about contacting a counsellor who can go through everything with you?

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Did she have a rotavirus immunisation ? I found that one really upset my babies' stomachs.

I would suggest getting her checked out if it's a persistent stomach thing, but otherwise, that distracted stuff is really typical around 4-5 months. Annoying but usually by then they are very able to feed properly if they are really hungry.

A 'normal' feed can also be quite short by that age - 5 minutes or even less...especially in warmer weather, when they typically feed more often but for shorter periods of time.

Do you have some feeds that are more relaxed ? Are you giving bottles in between (that can also discourage them from breastfeeding).... have you started solids ? Are they starting to crawl ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

carml013

Post by carml013 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for your suggestions!!
She does get easily distracted but the fussiness I am talking about is the feed itself. she will latch on and suck for 20 seconds then starting whinging, arching her back and pushing off me. She comes off, whinges for a few seconds then puts herself back on and the cycle repeats itself. This will go on for a few minutes until I give up and put her on my right side. I am just afraid of losing my milk on that left side!! Very frustrating!
I did ring the helpline yesterday and they were very helpful!
Ah well.... i'll just keep persisting and see where we get!
:D

carml013

Post by carml013 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 am

Oh - No she isn't having bottles (coz she won't take them!!) in between feeds.
She isn't having solids yet and while she isn't crawling yet but she is rolling like there is no tomorrow!!

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am

Hello! Does she manage to get a letdown on your left side at all? When my DS was about 6 months he became super fussy on my left side which seemed to letdown and flow slower than the right. I used to put him on that side first as he would suck harder because he was hungrier and the letdown would happen faster. If I put him on the right first he wasn't interested in going on the left afterwards, his belly was full enough that he was too impatient to have a go on the left.

When it got really bad I would sometimes express enough to get a letdown and then pop him straight on. I didn't like doing this too much though as I didn't want him to get used to not having to work for it! Sleepy feeds were always the best ones as he would happily comfort suck and didn't mind so much about the flow.

Hope this helps a little!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 am

You might also want to look into the possibility of fast flow. She might be struggling to keep up with it. Fast flow can result in frothy poo as well.

Sorry, on phone otherwise I'd link the article
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

carml013

Post by carml013 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm

It could possibly be my let down.
Here is my next problem... (yes there are more!)
I do not feel when I have a let down! So I am not sure how to "get it started" myself or if it has even let down at all!
Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I really appreciate your help!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 am

The simple thing is that if she comes off the breast and the milk is spurting or dripping off your nipple, you probably do have a forceful letdown :-D

You may also be able to feel your breasts harden/tighten when the milk let's down, but that's a bit tricky to feel when your hands are full with juggling an octopus baby :lol:

There are also women who end up feeding off just one breast. I did this with my third child, my left breast gave me a lot of trouble, and he was a very heavy baby (4.7kg) and holding his weight across my left arm (and typing on the computer at the same time) was more difficult, so we ended up with a very strong right side preference. That was after feeding my other two children more-or-less 'evenly' for 2 years plus each.... I think I would end up feeding 2 times on the right for every time on the left, and he never really took more than one breast either.

Sometimes babies bob on and off the breast when they have air in their stomach. If the flow is fast and they are also gulping air, they get a bubble and then when they try to latch on again, they bob off, if you put them upright for a few seconds and gently open up their abdomen (they are often curled up) the burp will usually come, and then they can latch on properly again.

Is the fussing at the start of the feed or after a few minutes ? Maybe they are getting heaps of milk in a short time. My second child had a suck like a vacuum cleaner - I reckon he would have scared me off breastfeeding if he was my first - and I was forever adjusting his positioning/latch because if he didn't get it 100% right then 'ouch'! - but he also fed in under 5 minutes, even as a tiny baby, one letdown of milk and he was done. He fed pretty much 2 hourly, but always just one letdown, and it was so convenient!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!