Complete breast refusal 3 weeks - support needed

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Zandra83

Complete breast refusal 3 weeks - support needed

Post by Zandra83 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I'm looking for some support and stories of success after breast refusal.
My 8.5 month old daughter has been completely refusing for almost 3 weeks. I've read up on the ABA website, spoken to a councillor, feels like I've tried everything. She just won't even attempt to latch on.
It happened very suddenly one night while she had a very blocked nose and teething.
I'm just feeling so sad about it, like I'm failing her as a mother. I was in tears to my husband last night and all he could say was 'why do you have to make such a big deal out of everything'? No one seems to understand or care unless they have been through it themselves.
Has anyone had reattachment after such a long period?
She's drinking EBM from a bottle, which she always previously refused.
Thank you

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 pm

a friend of mine had two of her sons refuse at 9 months for a month...the second went onto feed until he was four when she fell pregnant.
so it is achievable...and she can express like a trojan. I think her trick was feeding while they were sleeping and no pressure skin to skin time which I'm sure you're trying
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Hugs x Breast refusal can be really stressful and it is completely understandable that you are upset about it. I think it old great that you have been expressing as it is maintaining your supply. Just a thought, have you tried tricking your bub. When she is having a bottle, can you try hand expressing to get a let down and then swapping her onto the breast. That way the milk will continue flowing?

Another possibility is to perhaps call a counsellor again as different counsellors nay have different suggestions.

Hugs and I have NY fingers crossed you are breastfeeding again.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

manomummy

Post by manomummy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Hugs. Breast refusal can be very stressful, the ladies in here certainly understand that feeling.
Are you able to have lots of skin to ski without the pressure to feed? Maybe in bed, the shower, the lounge room.
Hope the strike ends soon and she comes back with a vengeance.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started

Zandra83

Post by Zandra83 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Ladies,
Thank you for your support.
I just thought i'd give an update. She's now been refusing for 5 weeks.

My latest idea is if I can get her familiar with the shield and then possibly use a nursing supplementer and a shield so she has an immediate reward at the breast. Do you think this could work???? I have been letting her play with the shield and I've also been putting it over the spout of her cup to drink through it.

I think the refusal is a combination of things, including losing her trust. How do I gain that back?

She was off the bottle for about 2 weeks and didn't show any need to replace the sucking... I have started giving her bottle again because it can be more intimate than a cup. I can hold her in the breastfeeding position skin to skin while giving her a bottle.

Part of me is ready to accept defeat and just continue pumping for as long as possible and part of me thinks don't give up on my little girl. Every time I think there is hope and I try something different that doesn't work I get so depressed.

Sorry for waffling and thanks for listening.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 am

Zandra83 wrote:Part of me is ready to accept defeat and just continue pumping for as long as possible and part of me thinks don't give up on my little girl. Every time I think there is hope and I try something different that doesn't work I get so depressed.
Big hugs! You are a devoted mum to keep trying so many things! Even if you find you have to swap to EBM, that's certainly not 'giving up!' She'll still be getting all the goodness of your milk even if she only takes it from a bottle.
DD born September 2013