4 month suddenly jumping off breast :(

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Birdyuk55

4 month suddenly jumping off breast :(

Post by Birdyuk55 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am

Hi there

I have been exclusively breastfeeding Charlie for 4 months with no issues.

Over the last three days he has suddenly starting crying and screaming when on the breast and will not feed. He will pop on for a few seconds jump off, look for it again, feed and then scream. I have started to express and put inti a bottle and that is fine he takes it no problem so am assuming my milk is ok.

I know I have had a fast let down so I always take him off once I get the let down to squirt some out so he is used to that but I am not even getting to the let down point before he pops off and then I can't get him back on.

I am feeding him in the same place so no distractions and nothing has changed. He doesn't seem to be sick or anything, although he does scream more when we put him down at night..was thinking ear infection?

An advice would be great as I really want to continue breastfeeding :cry:

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi, sorry to be brief but if you have ruled out an ear infection or pain of some sort, I was wondering if he is having nipple confusion and has realised that drinking from a bottle is easier than having to work for the milk coming from the breast?

I am sure others will be along with more suggestions :)

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm

An ear infection or teething pain, or even an impending cold/congestion, could possibly account for your LO's reaction when trying to feed - it might just be altogether uncomfortable for him to get the suck-swallow action right. It might also just be plain ol' frustration - a lot of babies will change their feeding patterns over the months, and become a lot more efficient at feeding. So a baby who used to feed every 2 hours might reduce down to every 3 hours - and if you try to feed before they're hungry, they'll be mighty upset!

If you haven't already, giving the Helpline a call (number at the top right of this page) would be a great idea - a trained counsellor will be able to run through what's been happening, and work with you to identify some strategies to hopefully make your bfing relationship a little easier than it is currently! :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

manomummy

Post by manomummy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am

Hi, I second ringing the helpline. Would it also be possible to have a breast feeding holiday? This is where you spend the day with bubs in bed, no top having lots of skin to skin contact to encourage bub to feed more.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 am

Perhaps illness or perhaps a phase of distractibility that occurs at about 4 months or so for lots of babies. There's more about it here http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting ... ible-baby/ and here https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal.

Oh and while I'm being the queen of links, there's some info here https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby about pacing bottle feeds in case that's of any help to you.