Fussiness Frustration

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
romeo

Fussiness Frustration

Post by romeo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm

My 9 week old breastfed beautifully from 30 mins after birth, then we got a bout of oral thrush and now she spends the whole time going off and on of the breast and I end up with milk all over me and she ends up with wind which in turn makes her scream!
I have been making sure she is properly latched on and then she just jumps off again. The best position has been lying down...but I cant very well lay down in public!!
any suggestions? My milk flows very fast so I think she has also got lazy cause she doesn't have to try! I have also tried expressing before feeding to slow the speed down but to no avail!

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi and welcome,

The fussy behaviour you describe can often be a baby's way of coping with the fast let down. It's quite likely that the extra expressing is just boosting your milk supply even further at the moment, which might be making things more uncomfortable for your LO.

If lying down works, how does feeding leaning back in a chair go? Lots of cushions to be comfortable :wink:

Also I was wondering if this article rang any bells for you?

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/ ... oad-babies

You're welcome to call or email a counsellor any time with questions - you don't have to be a member of ABA.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4