So its normal then?

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Mummy79

So its normal then?

Post by Mummy79 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

I have been reading over all the posts about breat refusal and have noticed the age ranges! My DS has started to do this in the last few days. He has been on solids for a while and is far more interested in food than milk. He has gone from on average a feed every 2-3 hours in the day to only wanting a feed when going down for a nap, which is really only 2 feeds, plus the one he has first thing in the morning before breakfast.

I shouldnt be worried yeah? He is thriving and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies. I guess I am kind of sad cause I didnt think it would happen so quick.

I guess I am worried because I feel like I am losing my baby. :smt022
Most of all I feel like I am losing my booby boy. :smt022

None of my family or friends understand how I am feeling because they think 'its about time' he is weaned! :roll:

Please reassure me these feelings are normal?
Me - 33
DH- 31
DD - 3 years
DS - 9 months
Dog - 4 years
Cat - 5 years
Lizard - 10 years (approx)

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

I feel like that too! Glad S has 3 naps still, cause when I'm not working, that's the only time he feeds.

I hold on to the idea that it's temporary. by time they are finished discovering food, they'll come back with a vengeance. See topic of 13month old who suddenly craves boobs again!

It's a phase, it's not weaning :-D
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I have a friend who had a son refuse for a month at 10 months. She fed while he slept and hand expressed milk into his food. obviously came back to feeding, and weaned when she fell pregnant with his little brother when he was four. It can be done
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

dellywatts
Counsellor

Post by dellywatts » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:19 pm

I have found with my kids is that between the ages 8-18m that their feeds did drop off a lot and then they picked back up again at about 18 months or so.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

This happened here too, DS was around 8 months I think. He was way too distracted during the day to feed, the only times I could get him to have a decent feed were when he woke from naps and was still a bit sleepy, or at night. I decided to wean at around 10 months anyway for other reasons, and the breast refusal definitely made it easier to do this! Not sure what I would have done otherwise, probably just continued with feeding whenever he would accept and hope he would come back. My supply really dropped off when he was only having 2-3 feeds in a 24 hour period, I think next time if I have the same issue and want to continue bf'ing I would have to express a couple of times during the day to keep my supply up - definitely something to think about if you feel your supply is dropping :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Do you offer a breastfeed before solids? My two are pretty distracted during feeds and probably only having 4 or 5 feeds a day at the moment (though we cosleep so they have more at night)

It is a phase and I have noticed even in the last week they have wanted more feeds. I wouldn't bother pumping (mainly because I am too lazy :lol: ) as a few days of bub feeding more frequently will do the same job :)

MM

Post by MM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Gee I wish this was my problem! My 17 month old trails me round the house pointing at my breasts and shouting "more!" literally all day... He used to go 4 or 5 hours quite happily, now he wants "more!" every 15 mins.
DS - May 2011

Otty

Post by Otty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 pm

MM wrote:Gee I wish this was my problem! My 17 month old trails me round the house pointing at my breasts and shouting "more!" literally all day... He used to go 4 or 5 hours quite happily, now he wants "more!" every 15 mins.
:lol: I know the feeling!
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Defiantly an age thing... My 8 mth old is the same, if we didn't feed to sleep I think I would want to offer some ebm in a cup with his meal... I've gone to just blw so ds2 has a little more room for milk, he loves his solids a little too much also... Haha but at 8-12 monthish 4 feeds in 24 hours is fine... Wierd for us who are so used to more feeds. I've found he's having 2 really good night feeds and about 3-4 good day feeds now with his naps and in the mornings, if I'm lucky.... I've also found a g pod way to switch boobs when he's half asleep for his nap so he has a good feed from both boobs... Hth, I'm sure they'll all come back with gusto in a few months!!
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

MM

Post by MM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Otty wrote:
MM wrote:Gee I wish this was my problem! My 17 month old trails me round the house pointing at my breasts and shouting "more!" literally all day... He used to go 4 or 5 hours quite happily, now he wants "more!" every 15 mins.
:lol: I know the feeling!
Oh Otty it's nice to know I'm not alone lol!
DS - May 2011