Biting thinking she doesnt want it anymore

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
mum2max

Biting thinking she doesnt want it anymore

Post by mum2max » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:06 am

My dd has been biting every feed for the past 2 weeks. Now she has started doing it at the start of a feed. When i watch her closely and try to take her off before she does her finishing bite she bites harder. So today i thought i wouldnt offer and ill wait until she asks problem is she never asked so i offered at about 6pm and she stuffed around abd bit again. So now she has had a little stuff around feed off one boob so the other one is going to explode. Ive tried expressing i just cant do it. Im stressed because i didnt want feeding to stop like this especially because of biting. She has just turned 1 and was only having 2 feeds but still even if i could of got one feed a day from her it would still be good for her. I think its ended i was really thought she would go to at least a few more months.
I would appreciate advice. I dont know what to do. If she wony feed and i cant express is there something i can take for it?

Thanks for reading :)

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 am

Can't offer any advice except to say that I am in the same boat you are not alone. My DD went from 6 feeds in a 24 hr period to nothing. She would bite me and wiggle off my lap to get away... She would shake her head, no when i ask her if she wants milk. Our bubs are the same age.
6 days on the nursing strike so far. I think its over for me :cry:

Hopefully you can convince your bub to come back to the boob!
******Mummy of Mr 4 and Miss E******
No longer feeding, her choice. You can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make it drink !

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 am

Do you want to take something to increase supply or decrease supply?
No longer feeding, her choice. You can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make it drink !

mum2max

Post by mum2max » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks. I was wanted to take something that help decrease my supply. Im just worried about mastitis. I just tried her again and she bit within 4 seconds and pushed herself away i actually thought she wanted it. Ohh well at least i got past 12 months. She is walking so i guess she thinks there is better thinks to do.

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Oh, that sounds difficult.

This page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/biting.html has info about possible reasons why a baby might bite and possible ways a mum might choose to respond.

I'm not a breastfeeding counsellor, but I have heard that after the newborn days (when breastmilk production is stimulated by the endocrine=hormonal system) when you're feeding an older baby breastmilk production is stimulated by the autocrine=demand/supply system and therefore any medicines for 'drying up milk' are ineffective.

Could you ring or email a breastfeeding counsellor on the breastfeeding helpline? Volunteer counsellors are available 24/7, so you could ring or email tonight if you'd like to.

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am

I am taking sage capsules, and sage tea. As well as peppermint oil. I am not sure if it is helping or the decrease in supply is just the natural process of things..

Bundy

Post by Bundy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 am

How is your DD going? Has she stopped biting?