Breast refusal

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Carolinet

Breast refusal

Post by Carolinet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I have just joined this forum but have previously done a bit of reading and I am amazed that there is so much help and support out there.

My little one is 6 months old and has been breastfeeding all the way through which has gone really well until now.
She would normally feed 5 times a day and atleast 5 minutes each side. However, since last Friday she has gone back to just feeding one side per feed and maximum feed time is about 5 minutes. If I try to put her on the other side she starts screaming and is very hard to calm down and settle. I dont push her onto the oer side, all i have to do is show her the other breast and she screams! At night, about 6pm ish, she totally refuses to feed at all and because she has had no milk she won't settle in bed and it is taking a very long time to get her to sleep.

She has been on solids now for a while and is happily eating 2, sometimes 3, meals a day. She loves her food! She also has two bottom teeth and I am now wondering if the breast refusal, and decrease in feeding, is due to her teething again but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? She is still having wet nappies a day, not as wet as what they were, but still with clear urine.
I was planning on breastfeeding for a few more months yet but I am getting really upset when she no longer feeds from me. Can anyone suggest anything or have experienced this before?

Thanks!!!!

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi!

I'm not a counsellor but it definitely isn't unusual to see changes in feeding patterns as babies get older and when you introduce solids.

It does sound like she is getting a lot of solids though - and that may decrease her appetite for breastfeeds. The breast milk is more nutrient dense than solids so that may be counterproductive.

I'd recommend calling or emailing a counsellor (click the link in the top right) and they can talk through what may be happening.

Carolinet

Post by Carolinet » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for your help Rachwa and advice. I have cut back the amount of solids that i am giving the last few days and there has been a slight improvement in her feeding. Atleast she has let me BF her before going to bed which is a big improvement from early on in the week.

Fingers crossed things keep improving! I have also spoken to a local ABA group which i am meeting with tomorrow so very much looking forward to that. :D

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Carolinet wrote:Thanks for your help Rachwa and advice. I have cut back the amount of solids that i am giving the last few days and there has been a slight improvement in her feeding. Atleast she has let me BF her before going to bed which is a big improvement from early on in the week.

Fingers crossed things keep improving! I have also spoken to a local ABA group which i am meeting with tomorrow so very much looking forward to that. :D
Hope your meeting goes well tomorrow!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 pm

We had some crazy stuff going on between 6 and 7 months that led to a bit of breast refusal. As far as i could tell it was mostly developmental as he was only eating one or two meals a day then - although having said that a few times he did eat a truckload for dinner and completey refused his bedtime booby feed, so i stopped offering so much for dinner after that!

Anyway, at that time developmentally he seemed to learn a whole bunch of new skills within the space of a week and it was almost like his little brain had a hard time processing it all. He was super distracted (way more than the 4 month monsters stage) and seemed far more interested in practising his new skills than feeding. He also got really impatient while feeding, a lot of grunting and pulling going on.

Not sure if any of that info will help you, it could be due to the solids but your DD might also have other more exciting things on her mind right now! ;-) Our most successful feeds were when he was the most calm, either at night or just as he was waking from a nap. All other times were very hit and miss. It did settle down after a few weeks though :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker