Going back to breast

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
kabes_20

Going back to breast

Post by kabes_20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I have 11 week old who has been having trouble gaining weight so we decided to breast feed and then give formular to ups, that didn't seem to do anything so I was advised to try formular only for a few days which still had no effect on her weight.

I'm not overly concerned about her weight gain side if things only as I was the same as a baby and my other son was the same (were just little people I'm only 50kg) but now I'm really wanting to go back to breast but she just screams as soon as I put her near my breast. I have tried several holding positions I have also tried nipple shields but she just distant want to go back on :(

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm not sure, but have you called or emailled the helpline? If you click on the box in the top right of the page it will give you details and you can talk to or email someone who is trained and will have heaps of advice for you, I'm sure.

Good luck, it sounds like things have been tough. Hang in there!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Spend a day or two snuggled into bed together, lots of skin to skin time and cuddles, with easy access to the breast for bub - let them suck as much as they want or need to.

It sounds like your baby has become used to the easy flow from the bottle - you could also try cup or spoon feeding expressed milk or formula instead of a bottle and continue to offer the breast. If it were me I would call or mail a counsellor, they can help you with a plan to get the baby back to the breast - if it has only been a few days, there is still hope :)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Also can I ask who advised you to give formula top ups? Just out of curiosity did they suggest "topping up" on the breast? If you have fed and baby still seems unsettled, try offering the breast again - even if it is only half an hour or an hour later. At that young age all my kids fed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm

I hope you've managed to get onto one of our lovely counsellors and have some great ideas to try already, but one thing that worked with DD2 (she was premmie and came home from hospital 100% EBM fed) when we were trying to get her back to the breast was to give her a small bottle feed first (we did around 40-50ml) to take the edge off her hunger, which then made her more receptive to attaching & feeding at the breast.

There are also some great ideas here - https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal

HTH
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious