1 year old suddenly refusing feeds - story with a happy endi

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Loli&Lulu

1 year old suddenly refusing feeds - story with a happy endi

Post by Loli&Lulu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi

I have just registered for the forum but have been reading for some time and wanted to post our story.

I have had to work hard to establish and maintain our breastfeeding relationship, various early problems and several bouts of refusal at different times. But I have been very proud to have made it to 12 months which was my original goal.

Last week my little girl went from being a total booby monster to refusing to feed. She also had horrible nappy rash and was showing lots of teething signs and was really grumbly which was unlike her. She refused all feeds last Friday (normally she has 5-6 a day, I work part time and she is in daycare and I walk over at lunchtime to feed her during my break). We started giving her regular paracetemol as she was obviously in pain, she would want to feed, try to latch on then break off crying. She was still taking a feed at some point during the night but that might be the only one during the day. She was also refusing to drink water and we were worrying we would have to take her to hospital to be rehydrated.

I was feeling upset and rejected - if I had wanted to wean it would have been convienient but I was not ready and did not feel she was. She is small for her age, just passed 9kg, perfectly proportioned and probably likely to be quite short like her Daddy, but still not a boofer by any means.

I read a lot of the information on this site and on the sticky at the top of this forum. I worked hard to keep offering but being as calm as possible and working on not trying to force her into anything. I also spoke to a ABA counsellor which was helpful in coming up with a couple of different ideas of ways to get the expressed milk into her as she has never taken a bottle despite regular and repeat attempts.

On Wednesday we kept her out of daycare and my Mum came to spend the day with her. They came in to my office for a feed at lunchtime with another refusal but my Mum got her to have a good quantity of expressed milk by spoon feeding it to her.

When I got home in Wednesday afternoon she latched on and fed, then again at bedtime. She has been feeding like a champ since then, obviously trying to boost my supply again - I had been expressing but less often than she would have had because I could not make the time and care for my little one.

We have been back to normal now for 48 hours or so. Hopefully we will keep going for some time to come.

I just wanted to post this to give a good news story for those of you who are going through it now. I know the good news stories helped keep me going.

Good luck if you are having trouble.

Mischakitten

Post by Mischakitten » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Lovely to hear your experience Loli! It is wonderful that things have worked out for you after such a difficult time :D
Married 2008
DS Born February 2010 (bf for 16 months)

Otty

Post by Otty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Just read your story Loli, and it's just what I needed to hear right now! My 7 month LO has been refusing feeds on and off since Friday. He just had a good feed and I'm hoping he will feed well overnight. Anyway this afternoon he grabbed my hand and stuck my thumb in his mouth and I felt his first tooth just coming through! Now I know that I will probably experience some breast refusal with teething.
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Glad it helped. :D

We have had more bouts of breast refusal since then when she has been unwell, the longest being 8 days of total refusal with hand, foot and mouth disease. But she has always come back with persistence (Luckily), at 18 months she usually feeds 4-5 times a day.

I hope things settle down for you now the tooth has broken, the first few were definitely the worst for us.
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

suezoo81

Post by suezoo81 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi, I know this is an older post, but i was hoping to still find some help about the hand foot and mouth disease. My son currently has it and was not eating or drinking for the last 2 days, but today he is back to normal diet habits, but still point blank is refusing to breastfeed. It has been 2 days now and i cant even get him to latch on. its starting to become very distressing and i really dont know what to do, but you mentioned that your baby was off for 8 days, so this gives me hope that he will be back to nursing soon ...
Mum to Isla and Eli xoxo

mrserin

Post by mrserin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi Suezoo81! Welcome to the forum! :smt006

Breast refusal can be so frustrating and upsetting. How old is your son? There are some good ideas on getting him back on the ABA website here:
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/refusal.html You might also like to call the helpline to get some more suggestions from a counsellor: 1800 686 268

I know there have been some other mums on here whose bubs have had hand, food and mouth. Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some more ideas!
Alice: June 07 (BF 1y5m)
Oscar: Jan 09 (BF 2y9m)
Lucy: March 11 (BF 3y and a few months)