7 month in..... can I fix this?

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Ck1984

7 month in..... can I fix this?

Post by Ck1984 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi all :)
My daughter is 7 months old..... we've had our share of issues.... poor latch, vasospasm, posterior tongue tie and upper lip
Tie (corrected at 4 months by laser), nursing strikes, slow letdown ....
She is currently on day 4 of a nursing strike.... day 1 & 2 she would refuse the boob, then I would offer ebm in a bottle and she would drink it.... but drink from the breasts during the night....days 3&4 she is refusing the breast all together. I'm hoping it's just because she has developed a cold.... she refused most bottles and solids yesterday as well...
This morning she latched on, but only stayed on for about 10 seconds.
I tried to use an SNS yesterday, to get her back on the breast... but she wouldn't even come near the breast.... my thinking was it may help as my letdown takes 1.5 - 2 minutes ..... I will try again, if I can get her back to accepting the breast....

A few more issues..... which are probably my fault, as I've been more concerned about her feeding rather than my comfort.... her latch has never been perfect.... I had high hopes that getting her ties revised would help, but I'm not sure it's made much difference.... no matter what I try, I can't get her top lip to flange out!! I'm not that worried about the vasospasm.... but she's still soooo windy, and it really upsets her.
Also.... very early on, we got into the habit of using a nursing wedge pillow...and when I feed her I kind of slouch over her... it can't be good for my back, but also I'm wondering if it's contributing to her shallow latch. We never really had much success with many positions.... I normally
Just did cross cradle when she was little, and the cradle
Hold when she got bigger. I really
Wanted to do laid back breastfeeding as I've been told it can help get a deeper latch.... but she never gave it a good go :(

Is it too late now (7 months in) for me to change these bad habits? Assuming I can get her back to the breast.

I really don't want to give up, it's very important to me to breastfeed her, as I failed with her older brother :'(

Any suggestions welcome!!!

Ck1984

Re: 7 month in..... can I fix this?

Post by Ck1984 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:39 pm

**wanted to add, she's always been fussy and I've always been nervous due to my past failure**

Also, she's never really comfort fed, and although I offer the breast when she cries, she never really fed on demand either....so we've sort of fallen into a routine of feeding web she wakes.... I feel like I may have stuffed up there as well :(

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Hugs. You haven't stuffed up. You have done a great job in getting to seven months on what sounds like a challenging breast feeding journey.

You're welcome to call the 24/7 helpline that is staffed by breastfeeding counsellors. These mums can help you work out a plan. There's also a great article on breast refusal on the main website which might give you some other ideas?

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal

Good luck. Let us know how you go x
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 am

Does she have a blocked nose with the cold ? It's impossible for them to feed normally if the nose is completely blocked... I have used saline spray or breastmilk in the nose with a dropper to help clear it out...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!