7 month old refusing during the day and wont drink formula

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
mummaof2boyz

7 month old refusing during the day and wont drink formula

Post by mummaof2boyz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:26 am

Hi all,
my second son, who is 7 months old has started to refuse breast during the day ( 7am & 11am), but will eat his 3pm and 7pm and once over night!
I have tried to substitute these feeds with formula but he just wont drink it! and I have tried a few different formulas.
Does anyone have any ideas for me?
He is a big boy and has always eaten very well - both my boys were born to breastfeed and they latched very well. my 7month old was born at 4.060kg and now is nearly 9 kgs. He happily will drink water out of a bottle and/or sippy cup but not formula or breast milk.
He first son did this one and off but never for more than a day at time ( I went on to feed him until 14 months old)... this son has done this for 3 days..... so I am baffled!

thanks for listening :D

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: 7 month old refusing during the day and wont drink formu

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi! My son started doing the same about that age. I had some success feeding to sleep and feeding upon waking. But by 9 months he wasn't breastfeeding at all during the day and only once or twice overnight. He would sometimes take a bottle, but I wasn't too worried as he was a big solids eater. You can't force a baby to drink (as I learned!), so as long as he's healthy and happy he'll probably be fine.

I have heard a lot of mums say their 7/8/9/10 month old baby loses interest in breastfeeding, it's a very distractible age. Some mums find it can be an easy time to wean if that's what suits them, others find if they can push through their toddler will come back to the breast in a few months, often with a vengeance!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Nedsmum

Re: 7 month old refusing during the day and wont drink formu

Post by Nedsmum » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:16 pm

I wouldn't worry unless overall they are unwell... I wonder if you are also pushing solids at this age ? The first thing I would do with a parent who asked this question (I work as a coordinator in a Montessori 0-3 childcare setting) is to look at overall intake in 24 hours and then the baby's actual behaviour.

Personally, I would avoid bottles and sippy cups and go for a very small open cup. We use 'shot glass' sizes at work. From the age that the child can sit with minimal support, we sit next to them with a tiny glass and a small jug of water and they consume the water just one sip at a time...they soon get the hang of it. It may not be the neatest way to drink, but it's all about experience...

Some babies do spontaneously wean at 10-14 months. What is unusual in our culture is to allow babies to do this without going to bottle-feeding...for me 'bottle feeding' is not really 'weaning' - you're just subsituting one for the other - if you cut back the bottle options then you may find that they sustain breastfeeding much longer, but also eventually 'wean' directly to 'family foods'.

It is nutritionally/behaviourally possible to wean directly from breast to 'healthy family foods' from 12 months. With breastfeeding continuing as long as 'mother and baby desire'... bottles are a convenience item or a cultural practice from 6 months onwards, but they are not essential...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!