9 week old becoming a fussy feeder

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
Ftm35

9 week old becoming a fussy feeder

Post by Ftm35 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Desperately seeking answers. Breastfeeding has been going really well up until about 2 weeks ago. Of an afternoon she has become hysterical at the breast and it takes me a while to get her to latch. Once she is on she feeds ok. I put this down to witching hour, as for night feeds I don't have this issue. But it has now started to happen for day feeds over the last 2 days. She looks hungry and so I lie her on her side and move her in for latching and she starts hysterically crying. It will take me a minute or two to latch her and then she seems to feed ok. But then appears hungry again so soon. I'm feeding every hour or so. I'm not sure if she is being like this because she is super tired. I'm struggling to get her to sleep during the day! She is 10 weeks old this Wednesday.

Nedsmum

Re: 9 week old becoming a fussy feeder

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:22 am

Around 6-8 weeks babies tend to wake up from the newborn 'daze' and become more demanding/fussy. Is there a reason why you're feeding 'every hour or so'...it could be possible that she is tired rather than hungry - any signs of oversupply/overfeeding...vomiting...colic...reflux...plentiful nappies...lots of light coloured poo...

They also can develop a really obvious day/night pattern... and they can definitely be difficult to put down at this age...they want to be held a lot! For the sleeping pattern I would tend to look at the overall pattern in 24 hours, and if you feel that she's overtired, to 'invest' in sleep for a few days - that means both you and baby have sleep as a priority (very often it's the mummies that are overtired too!).... and preserve sleep at all costs...that means changing your routine, doing whatever it takes...to give baby the best chance of sleeping as much as possible...then you may see some sort of overall improvement in mood and behaviour...

I learnt the hard way with my first child....overtired babies sleep badly... sounds so simple...but wouldn't it be so much easier if tired babies slept like logs!

Is there someone else who can also help with calming and putting bubs to sleep...sometimes a second pair of hands can make a difference if that second pair of hands is calm and cuddly too...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!