Please help! Hysterical baby...

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.
penguin86

Please help! Hysterical baby...

Post by penguin86 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I didn't know where to turn for help. I tried to call the help line but keep getting the engaged signal.

My baby is 9 weeks old and breastfed, she has been a good feeder so far.

We had to go out today and she missed her 2 hour nap. I couldn't get her to sleep after, she was overtired. By the time I had to feed her she was crying hysterically because she was over tired. She was too upset even to feed, and I know she would be hungry. This has never happened before. I took her home and she had maybe a half hour or hour sleep. When she woke I tried to feed her again but the same thing happened. She ended up falling asleep after a few shallow sucks.

I'm worried because she is too hungry / tired to sleep and too tired to feed! Please help!

Baby Blue Eyes

Re: Please help! Hysterical baby...

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

How is she going now?
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Please help! Hysterical baby...

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi and welcome!

It can be very difficult to feed and settle an overtired baby, as you have discovered! I'm sorry you had trouble getting through to the helpline, sometimes there are busy times so it pays to persist.

How did things end up yesterday? Hope it wasn't too stressful in the end. Not sure if you have discovered the information section on the ABA website yet, but this article on breast refusal has some good ideas to try for getting fussy babies to feed, a lot would probably work for overtired babies too https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal.

When my babies got like that I found Babywearing helped immensely. I even mastered the trick of being able to feed in a carrier... They would kind of doze and feed a bit and doze a bit more, and the rocking motion of being worn helped them to go to sleep. Usually if a baby misses a feed due to being too tired it's not a problem, they will often feed more later to make up for it!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker