5weeks old acting hungry but doesn’t feed. Please help

A baby's refusal to feed is a distressing time. Sometimes the refusal is outright; other times just an extreme fussiness. Usually it is temporary and the baby returns to the breast. Share your experiences and support one another through this tough time here.

5weeks old acting hungry but doesn’t feed. Please help

Postby Jassi91 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Hello to you all.

My LO was born 3 weeks early and had to be at the ICU for a couple of days. During that time I wasn't able to breastfeed him, he only got my expressed milk through a tube. After that we had to work to get him onto the breast. He was too small and got tired very quickly, so it took nearly 3 weeks and a lot of patience to succeed. I was very glad when it finally worked and it was fine for a couple of days. Then he started to be a bit fussy, which I thought might be because he wasn't breastfeeding for that long and is maybe still learning it. But now he acts still hungry towards the end of a feed (is not feeding very well, so I think he is still hungry) but when I try to give him the breast he just starts to be hysterical and is crying and acts like he can’t find the nipple or spits it out again. I’m giving up at some point and just try to calm him. I don’t know what to do anymore especially because he also stays awake after quite long (3 hours +) which I think is too long for a young baby like him and for me during the nights. I don't know what to do anymore and hope for your help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers Jassi91
Jassi91

Re: 5weeks old acting hungry but doesn’t feed. Please help

Postby Jassi91 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am

Quick update. It got worse. So we started giving him the bottle and he is drinking it. I don’t know what to do anymore, we just started breastfeeding and I don’t want it to be over already! Hope for your help!!
Jassi91

Postby Jassi91 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am

Quick update. It got worse. So we started giving him the bottle and he is drinking it. I don’t know what to do anymore, we just started breastfeeding and I don’t want it to be over already! Hope for your help!!
Jassi91

Postby DigDig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. Hopefully things have improved. Have you tried calling the helpline?

Just wanted to say you sound like a great mum too.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding
DigDig

Postby DigDig » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Also, I was wondering if you have thought about a lactation consultant? I got one with my first, and I credit her with the only reason we were able to breastfeed into the longer term. They look at a variety of things, and might be of help. My friend tried two as her first one wasn't able to help, but found the second one she tried picked up on the issue, and was able to help.

Also, please don't feel bad if the breastfeeding doesn't work or. It happens to many mums. There is more to belong a good mum than breastfeeding. It is great that you are trying, and I would encourage you to continue to try if you can, but please go easy on yourself.

How are things now? Please keep us posted.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding
DigDig

Postby Jassi91 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey I don’t know why it didn’t send my last reply, but I have been to a lactation consultant and she said that my LO has bipolar confusion and she showed me some exercise we have to do with him. Let’s see if it gets better. I hope so! Still would be very happy if you guys have some helpful tips for this problem
Jassi91

Return to Coping with Breast Refusal