Co-GL

What have you been doing in your local ABA group lately? What have you been doing in the wider ABA community? Share all of your stories here.
MamaMagoO?

Co-GL

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Have anyone here been a co-Group Leader with someone else? I'm just wondering how the job might be shared and what the pros and cons would be. Do you think it's easier than being a GL by yourself or does it have its own challenges?
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Gwen's Mum

Re: Co-GL

Post by Gwen's Mum » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:39 pm

MamaMagoO? wrote:Have anyone here been a co-Group Leader with someone else? I'm just wondering how the job might be shared and what the pros and cons would be. Do you think it's easier than being a GL by yourself or does it have its own challenges?
Yes, I have/am. Love it. Our group is big, active, and covers a wide area, and we often have 20+ mums at meetings. I couldn't survive doing the GL role on my own. Sharing the job means we both get down time, plus we can bounce ideas off each other - which has been great. It does mean a bit more coordination to avoid double-handling things, but overall it's worked really well. We also have the opportunity to change over one co-GL at a time, so transition doesn't pose as much of an issue.

Logistics-wise - we keep an online spreadsheet going that lists all our tasks, so we can keep track of things. Only one GL can be listed officially in the ABA system, so they handle incoming correspondence from HO etc. We catch up at least weekly by phone, email or fb message.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:29 pm

I am sole GL and I dont think co GL would work for our group. I can see how it would work for bigger groups like GM suggests.

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks. Some things to think about. Our group is not all that big (but we are kind of merging with another group that covers quite a large region) and in a way I think it might be easier for one person to manage. I haven't even spoken to my current GL about this yet (but she does read the forum so I guess she knows I'm thinking about this now- Hi L! :lol: ). She's spoken to another counsellor about taking over the role and the other counsellor has asked me if I'd share the job with her. She really feels its too much for her- especially on top of her other roles, but I could probably take over those other roles. Not sure if I could manage by myself either- not that that is on the cards- I feel way too disorganised.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm

I guess its helpful to look at the GPD and what you as GL are responsible for and what you can delegate out to others. If you have lots of volunteers and group members, it can be done. TBH, I dont know I could coGL with someone unless it was clearly set out who was responsible for what.

For me as GL, I organise the planning meetings and ensure our diary dates are set. I liaise with the venue, I am the contact on the website/pamphlets etc, keep the equipment register up to date, I send email meeting reminders

I delegate/other volunteers do
*bulletin
*BPH
*Treasurer
*Library
*Membership emails

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm a bit like mooki - I'm the GL, but I have a good active group with great volunteers. With the birth of a child imminent for me, I've delegated almost everything, although I have just remembered I possibly need to do something about the reporting stuff (but my treasurer is awesome, so it's more a matter of asking!)
I find I'm really only responsible for arranging the meetings/being the contact/running planing meetings/asking for help. I probably find its an hour a month type job, but we don't have a huge number of members. I've also found it really helpful to review the Group Priorities Document with the group at planning meetings and make sure that we are all working on the same priorities every 6 months. It was particularly helpful when I took over the group to crystallise who was doing what too
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Yeah, for clarity and context I probably should have provided a bit more detail about our group - We have 8 counsellors and a CE, and 4 trainees at various stages of training. We have about 75 members, but around 250 people on our email list, and get well over 20 mums to meetings. Our meetings are fortnightly right through the year, and only very occasionally do we not have a discussion topic (sometimes we schedule a 'chat-n-play' to give ourselves a break, particularly if we have something else - conference, a big fundraiser, etc - planned for that time). At our twice-yearly planning meetings we try to divvy up the meetings evenly amongst all the volunteers, and we also have a set up and pack up roster to lighten the load on meeting days.

We also oversee a 'sub-group' about an hour's drive from our town - this used to be a group of its own, but closed a few years ago. Recently there has been a person qualify as a counsellor, and she and a trainee are now running monthly meetings there. We provide some logistical support to this 'sub-group'.

We have two BPHOs plus a backup, due to the local demand for pump hire. The funds from this are supplemented by another couple of major fundraisers during the year.

Our CE is also wonderfully active in engaging with our local hospital and other HPs, and this often results in us being asked to contribute in some way to health professionals' in-services - so we are often rostering people on to speak at antenatal classes, etc.

For us, having co-GLs is invaluable - we can continue to do all of the above, without having one person completely burn out and give up. Both my co-GL and I have had major commitments during the time we've been sharing the role (e.g. tertiary study, returning to work, having babies, etc) and being able to share the role has meant we feel okay about continuing despite those additional things going on in our lives.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 am

I think a co-GL is beneficial to some groups/areas and not for others.

Our group is a huge area but with minimal volunteers ATM. We have 4 qualified counsellors and 3 qualified CE's (including me) plus 3 trainees (including me) for counselling. Most of the volunteers are in Coffs/Bellingen/Dorrigo area, I'm the only one in the Grafton area and there's one down in Macksville. Our group covers from Urunga up to Yamba and out to Ebor. Our group leader is also trainer and assessor, group treasurer, acting regional rep and everything else inbetween. I'm locality mother for Grafton and I'm the contact for Grafton and look after the members we have in that area. I know the neighbouring group have just gone on to have co-GL's.

I guess it all depends on what works for you and your group.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.