Resources for Aboriginal families

For discussion about the association in general
A+D

Resources for Aboriginal families

Post by A+D » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 am

I recently ran a feed and change tent at a community event, and was asked by the midwife from the local Aboriginal medical service about whether the ABA have any cultural specific resources for them to use. My initial answer was no, and I gave her a variety of what I did have, but I have been wondering if we did. I have had a search of the website and haven't found anything. I have just been pondering why not, obviously we have resources translated into other languages, and I kind of feel like as we have Australian in our title, maybe we should? I appreciate the difficulty in producing something that is relevant Australia wide, due to different dialects, finding someone who is interested in doing it in a volunteer association, funding a project etc.

As with many things to do with Aboriginal health, I'm sure there is no easy solution, or even if there is really a point to this post, I guess I would like to know if anyone out there is working with Aboriginal families, as I would like to be able to give something more to this midwife. The Aboriginal population here is about 17%, so a not insignificant number. My impression from hospital midwives is that Aboriginal women generally initiate breastfeeding, but if they strike difficulties, they generally move to ABM without much of an issue (meaning feelings of guilt, failure, or at least these aren't expressed to the hospital midwives).
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Resources for Aboriginal families

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am

There was a working group on this a few years ago - maybe give head office a call and ask them what they came up with? i think there was a poster and maybe a booklet? Our branch project officer does visits to our local AMS for their mums and buns group - if HO can't help I can ask her what she uses - just let me know.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:30 am

There is the community mentor program, which was kind of developed for this purpose, and there's some low literacy booklets which were very well received in Alice when I gave them to the local aboriginal nurse program. The communities out there also really liked getting old copies of essence, so we tried to facilitate that as much as possible.
As far as translating stuff into language, it's hard as it's very expensive, and I don't think there's much funding for it. And we don't tend to have volunteers who speak the language.
definitely follow up with ho, but if you can't find anything I know the Alice health workers had some interesting things from a wide variety of places, I can give you the name of the group to pass on if you want?
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:48 pm

A+D, whereabouts in WA are you? We used to have a forumite who lived in Kal, and I believe the local group leader out there at the time was also a local midwife or nurse. She did a lot of work with indigenous mums, and if anyone knows about resources, it would be here. I'll get in touch with the past forumite and see if she can remember a name.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:13 pm

PM sent
DS1 born sleeping

A+D

Post by A+D » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks BM and everone else. I will follow up once I no longer have sick children.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 pm

:( Sick kids are never fun. Hope they get well soon x
DS1 born sleeping

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 am

An ABA person who I know in real life was on that working group, although I don't know if the working group still exists or is active.

There is a Canadian province that has some great breastfeeding materials for First Nations people. Perhaps not directly relevant for Australia, but they were great materials and might give you some ideas A+D. I'll see if I can find it again.

Oh and A+D I keep intending to PM you about ABA training remotely.. I'll do that one day.

Mudcake

Post by Mudcake » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:56 am

What a great idea. I'd be interested to hear what you find in your searches.
ImageImage
Trainee BC

A+D

Post by A+D » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I'll look out for a message one day then Strolltotheshops, though I'm not that remote compared to some, there is another trainee in my group who is 8 hours from me, 10 from our GL, and not a single other ABA member in her town. At least I have met my GL in person several times!
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

pfongk

Post by pfongk » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

I think I've seen an indigenous breastfeeding poster up where we have meetings. I remember it mentions Susu milk. I'll have a look next time I'm at the centre.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Its worth chatting (or emailing) the ladies who have led the community mentor course. SD is one in WA, the others are over east. We also have the low literacy booklets and while they are not specifically aimed at indigenous people, they are very useful.

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:29 pm

If you go to the website and search for CALD you'll get half a dozen results, including one called 'Resources'. Under this heading are two CALD resources. The links currently go to the 'update on Mother's Direct closure' page, so it might be worth knowing the names of these resources, and maybe contacting HO to see if they might be suitable?
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Oh, we have a lot of indigenous mums here, too - I've got an appointment at child health in a week or so - I'll check out their walls, too!
DS1 born sleeping

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:49 pm

A+D these are Queensland Department of Health documents: There's a series of these Queensland documents. I've just listed a few of them here.

I haven't had any luck yet but I'll try to find the Canadian resources that I mentioned.