Self paced training and expectations

For discussion about the association in general
mooki
Site Admin

Re: Self paced training and expectations

Post by mooki » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 am

Ronale wrote: I think it's important to note that ABA is a registered training organisation (rto) and as such needs to do these reviews from time to time to ensure the quality of the training. It's not supposed to make people feel uncomfortable, just to start a discussion.
Yes this is something we need to be aware of too. To receive funding for helpline, we need to be able to show we are answering at least x numbers of calls and that we have x amount of our breastfeeding counsellors participating. There is some funding for training and as an RTO we need to look at the overall picture. If the numbers show that x amount of enrollments are dropping out, re enrolling and not completing, we need to be able to say why

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Does any one know how much is costs ABA financially for a trainee to reenrol?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm

AussieBritLu wrote:It could just be also the possibility of those who signed up, received their enrolment package and thought "what the heck have I got myself into?" I know personally that was my first initial thought especially as at the time I was alone.....so maybe that has an impact on the trainees who don't complete a single unit?
I had no idea what I got myself into. I 'think' that the initial bit after the enrolling bit is a bit daunting and perhaps could be a bit more guided? I could be talking out of my bum though! I *knew* that it would be worth swimming through it all, but to others it could be a bit too much in the hard basket. I know that one local trainee signed up without obviously being told the amount of work that is involved and she has just enrolled into a full time uni course. As you can imagine, she didn't submit a thing. So maybe it needs to be made very clear about the amount of work that does needs to be put into the traineeship. :?: :?:

Maybe in the DVD bit that trainees get, maybe there could be a segment on how to enroll in an online study group (i don't think that I even know how? :oops: ), this is what a unit looks likes, this is what an assessment kit looks like, this is how you contact you local trainer and assessor etc etc??

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Feebes wrote:
Maybe in the DVD bit that trainees get, maybe there could be a segment on how to enroll in an online study group (i don't think that I even know how? :oops: ), this is what a unit looks likes, this is what an assessment kit looks like, this is how you contact you local trainer and assessor etc etc??

Feebes
Good suggestion Feebes. There is a bit of a disconnect sometimes between the trainer/assessors who look at things and the experiences of trainees. I know there were a number of changes made as I trained and some of the issues for remote trainees were discovered. I have been known to be a squeaky wheel sometimes though :lol:

Penguin, I don't know, I dont think the funding stuff is normally released, but you may be able to find this kind of information in the annual report (which makes for some interesting reading anyway :? )
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm

We're supposed to get a dvd? :/
DS1 2002
DD1 2010
DD2 2012
DS2 2016

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm

We're supposed to get a dvd? :/
DS1 2002
DD1 2010
DD2 2012
DS2 2016

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 pm

I didn't get a DVD.....I got a cd rom in 2013 but I think because most of the info is now on myaba they don't do that anymore....
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Merry,

pretty sure that has been stopped now. Everything can be accessed online. You used to get all the assessment kits sent on a CD and a few other various things but because we have most of it up and running online now, theres no need.

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 am

Had a chat with an ex-trainee yesterday, and was wondering whether everyone was told that there was an annual fee (once at start and then re-enrolment each year) for training?
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:18 am

Ronale wrote:Had a chat with an ex-trainee yesterday, and was wondering whether everyone was told that there was an annual fee (once at start and then re-enrolment each year) for training?
yep
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 am

Penguin wrote:
Ronale wrote:Had a chat with an ex-trainee yesterday, and was wondering whether everyone was told that there was an annual fee (once at start and then re-enrolment each year) for training?
yep
AFAIK the first set of fees is good for up to eighteen months, so when renewal time rolls around and you can show that you're likely to be finished within the next six months, you won't have to pay more.
It's a reasonable set-up. It gives you a modest financial incentive to get it done, and helps cover some of the training costs if you run overtime. My GL has told me that if there's a good reason for taking longer and the trainee is hard up, the group may be able to help out with the extension fees (and other training-related expenses).
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 am

Yep, I was told this and I tell my trainees the same

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:52 am

Yep I was told there were recurring fees once the year or so was up...depending on when you enrol......I was also told that if you are likely to finish after the year that you get three months free to finish (but that's only applicable if you are due to finish)

Like I only initially enrolled in the CE course at the end of June, so I only had til the end of June the following year to complete...before paying for another year, whereas if I had've enrolled in July I would have had until the end of December the following year before having to pay.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks :) I was hoping this was the case. The ex-trainee was from a fair while ago - started training before me - so I was hoping that things had changed since that point.
Although there are a few variations on exactly how re-enrolment works, but I'm not going to try to straighten that out as I find it difficult to explain at the best of times :lol:
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13