Is this ok?

For discussion about the association in general
Penguin

Re: Is this ok?

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

mooki wrote:aside from the sygeine issue, if we facilitated the sale of second hand things, I think it opens up quite a large door. Surely then any of us can sell our second hand ergos, manducas, ABA booklets, books, maternity and BF wear. There is no gain for ABA.

And just to throw in a totally hypothetical situation, what if someone bought a second hand item from another member that was advertised through an aba group and it was broken or damaged? What if it was a carrier and the clip was cracked?

Oh yeah, I'm happy with the rule of no second hand selling. I thought as much but I wanted to check - I thought perhaps it could be considered under reasonable mother-to-mother support but I wasn't sure, and if it's a MD stocked item then there's minimal concern re marketing/ suitability/ appropriateness etc. The member who wanted to sell wasn't sure either, which was why she asked me before she posted on our BF page.

Hypothetically - Re any second hand selling at ABA - sometimes groups do second hand markets. The benefit is to ABA if they charge a stall fee, but the second hand/ potentially dangerous issues is still there. That wouldn't be any different to selling something via an ABA group FB page, would it? (From the safety POV of a broken clip as opposed to the who-benefits POV).
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:46 pm

The market would be covered by our certificate of liability as it is an official event. Or it would be covered by the market's insurer. Second hand selling on facebook would probably render the seller liable but in law, you always take action against the person with the most money. So instead of the mum selling a craptacular sling, you would sue the organisation.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 am

Penguin wrote:But wouldn't milk inside an open pump be gross and scungy regardless of from whom it came? Does it matter if it's someone else's milk? Milk will go mouldy - yours or someone else's would be just as dangerous. Surely it's the milk that's the problem, not the other-person-ness?

PS - this is why I will never buy an open pump.

Yes, and that is why I didn't use an open pump for the whole time I was pumping for DS2. Imagine how much yuck I could have collected in 2 1/2 years. Also the closed pump was cheaper :)

keyfive
Counsellor

Post by keyfive » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Ewwww, I didn't realise about open and closed pumps! Bought a second one off a friend when DS2 was little and used that :shock: I just googled...think it will have to go in the bin before I have this baby!!
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)