Is this ok?

For discussion about the association in general
Penguin

Is this ok?

Post by Penguin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Is it ok for an ABA member to use ABA resources (eg group FB page) to sell Mothers Direct stocked items eg breast pump?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

mooki
Site Admin

Re: Is this ok?

Post by mooki » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 pm

as in selling a second hand pump?

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 pm

CoE 1.8
No Australian Breastfeeding Association meeting, nor any other aspect of the Australian
Breastfeeding Association is to be used for the sale or promotion of goods or services unless
benefit to the Australian Breastfeeding Association is the primary consideration
Personal selling would be a no

Correct me if you are talking about something else entirely

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Yeah, I meant selling a second hand pump
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Nope. Not OK. Breaching COE.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Andypandy wrote:Nope. Not OK. Breaching COE.
Also, all the pumps md sell are single user only (unless she has a hospital grade pump) so we wouldn't want to provide tacit approval to something that might be risky.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 am

Yeah, I thought it might have been a problem. I didn't know if there was a medela exception or something. I will pass on - bummer.

OT but that whole second hand/ single use thing seems totally nuts to me. How is using a pump that someone else has used before any different to using a pump that you have used before?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 am

Penguin wrote:Yeah, I thought it might have been a problem. I didn't know if there was a medela exception or something. I will pass on - bummer.

OT but that whole second hand/ single use thing seems totally nuts to me. How is using a pump that someone else has used before any different to using a pump that you have used before?
Single user pumps are open system - so it is possible for the milk to be drawn back in to the motor/housing. Some people are of the view that open system pumps aren't suitable for anyone to use for that reason! They can be pretty scungy inside. Anyhoo, the whole issue is one of hot hot debate.

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:44 pm

I bought a second hand single use pump. I don't recommend it for two reasons... One the hygiene aspect. When I pulled the battery flap off it was full of icky old milk :smt078, and the second was after using it for a little while ( a few months) I found that instead of having suction at the speed and intensity I had requested it sometimes became variable,more non existent despite trouble shooting the collection kit.
However, I still boggle at the cost of the pumps. I do understand they are amazing technology, but they are still really expensive for many mums.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

But wouldn't milk inside an open pump be gross and scungy regardless of from whom it came? Does it matter if it's someone else's milk? Milk will go mouldy - yours or someone else's would be just as dangerous. Surely it's the milk that's the problem, not the other-person-ness?

PS - this is why I will never buy an open pump.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Penguin wrote:But wouldn't milk inside an open pump be gross and scungy regardless of from whom it came? Does it matter if it's someone else's milk? Milk will go mouldy - yours or someone else's would be just as dangerous. Surely it's the milk that's the problem, not the other-person-ness?

Yep - and plenty of people argue against open pumps for that reason. I only found out about the issue when I was well past the pumping stage and I was :shock:

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
Penguin wrote:But wouldn't milk inside an open pump be gross and scungy regardless of from whom it came? Does it matter if it's someone else's milk? Milk will go mouldy - yours or someone else's would be just as dangerous. Surely it's the milk that's the problem, not the other-person-ness?

Yep - and plenty of people argue against open pumps for that reason. I only found out about the issue when I was well past the pumping stage and I was :shock:
Yeah, that's why I don't understand the no-second-hand thing. I think it should be no-open-pumps. The mould inside some Swings is terrible! But either way, if you're not comfortable buying an open pump second hand, I don't think you would/ should be comfortable buying one new - it's the same issue!

I had two second hand pumps (same type) of a non-MD popular brand. (closed system - took me ages to discover that not all pumps were like that and I was totally grossed out!) They def lost their oomph after a while, but I assume the same thing would happen after years of use from anyone, whether that be one woman or more than one.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 pm

aside from the sygeine issue, if we facilitated the sale of second hand things, I think it opens up quite a large door. Surely then any of us can sell our second hand ergos, manducas, ABA booklets, books, maternity and BF wear. There is no gain for ABA.

And just to throw in a totally hypothetical situation, what if someone bought a second hand item from another member that was advertised through an aba group and it was broken or damaged? What if it was a carrier and the clip was cracked?

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

But if you purchase the pump new there will be less mould, as it's less time. And possibly the impression that good hygiene and careful use could result in no mould
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Ronale wrote:

But if you purchase the pump new there will be less mould, as it's less time. And possibly the impression that good hygiene and careful use could result in no mould
But wouldn't the mould be an issue for your own pump after a few weeks anyway? Even if you bought it new? It's not uncommon to pump for a year or more or for several children.

I can't see how the mould would be prevented since you can't dry out the inside of the pumps?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013