Breastfeeding and Fathers

For discussion about the association in general
Penguin

Breastfeeding and Fathers

Post by Penguin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm

How do you do this meeting? I feel silly about all the mums sitting around and talking about fathers... Hit me with your ideas.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Maybe getting people to share times when their partner has been invaluable to the success of their breastfeeding journey.

Eg. I would say "When AbbeyKitten was a newborn DH would offer to take her straight after a long feed so I could pee/eat/drink. He also stood up for BM only until around 6 months when BIL and SIL asked what AbbeyKitten would survive on if she didn't have solids."

Or, asking people whether their partner's attitude to breastfeeding has changed after bub was actually breastfed.

Or, asking people whether it was their partner, or them, or both that was keen on breastfeeding.

Or, you could talk about the myth that father's need to feed their baby in order to bond with them, and get people to share the special things that just partner and bub do.

What are you hoping to achieve? Discussion, education, potato?

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 pm

we did this one as an evening meeting and dads came
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:44 pm

I got my husband to write a piece about my breastfeeding relationship, what he thought of it and how he had been able to help and what he would say to other dads.

I did a grab bag too - with different items that suggested ways dads could support mum/bond with bub other than feeding.
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:07 am

AbbeyCat wrote: What are you hoping to achieve? Discussion, education, potato?
Potato.

I sent out the list of topics, a member requested this one. That's was much as I've planned...
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 am

Penguin wrote:
AbbeyCat wrote: What are you hoping to achieve? Discussion, education, potato?
Potato.

I sent out the list of topics, a member requested this one. That's was much as I've planned...
Do you have time to call her and ask her what she had in mind? Maybe she is experiencing a problem, or maybe she wants to celebrate her partner's contribution?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:40 am

Maybe as an icebreaker, ask them what their father did when they were babies. Did he change nappies, get up in the night etc? then you can move onto what Dad's can do without dissing any of their husbands :)

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Not sure about the make-up of your group, and do tell me to bugger off if this just throws a spanner in the works :wink: , but it might be worth talking broadly about 'dads and partners' - we have had mums in same-sex couples, or in a parenting relationship with someone who isn't biologically 'dad'; while others essentially share parenting arrangements with a family member - e.g. Their own mum.

Talking about all those forms of shared parenting could make for a really inclusive discussion - e.g. who are the two most important people in your baby's life? What do they both contribute to the breastfeeding relationship? Who's given you the best support for breastfeeding?

And perhaps some discussion about how a baby and breastfeeding has had an effect on their relationship? although that does get into the Sex and The Breastfeeding Woman topic.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13