Process for new resources?

For discussion about the association in general
Penguin

Process for new resources?

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Does anyone know the process for getting new resources, I'm thinking probably a new website article?

Yet again today I was talking to two mothers who had gross smelling EBM. Long story short, but I think that over active lipase is almost certainly the issue.

The problem is, there are no ABA resources that I know of about lipase/ scalding. There are a couple of sentences about lipase in the Expressing booklet, but it's very little info and not enough to explain how to scald, what temp to heat to, the implication of heating EBM and several other things which in my opinion are important.

I was telling the other mothers what I had done with my milk but I was prompted by someone else to tell the mothers to call the helpline to dicuss. Whilst I realise that this is usual procedure, from my experience lots of helpline counsellors don't know about lipase issues - I spoke to about six counsellors, plus forum help, plus lots of online searching until I work out 1) what the problem was and 2) how to fix it.

I suggested that the mothers use the email counselling as it would give the counsellor time to seek more info if she didn't know much/anything about lipase (as had been my general experience).

So my two questions - 1) what is the process for getting new articles on the webpage? I think the lipase gap is a big one - I think I've spoken to 20+mums with this issue, both within and outside ABA.

2) Do you think I did the right thing? I know that I'm not allwoed to counsel and I should refer on to the helpline, but what to do when the helpine isn't likely to be helpful? I appreciate that saying "Here's some advice, do ****, oh, but the helpline won't know about it" sounds really dodgy, but I'm not sure what other options I had to help these mothers?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Will PM you a contact name that was given to me recently (when I sent feedback on one of the ABA online articles). She is the Breastfeeding Information Manager.

On my to do list is to email her about the confusing wording in the Confused about Introducing Solids article. And, I'd love to see some nice, clear diagrams that show a good latch.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Is that RK Cat, because I was going to suggest to get in contact with her.

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Lots of helpline counsellors a will do some research and get back to callers if they don't have enough information, so they can still help even if its outside their comfort zone,

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 pm

mooki wrote:Is that RK Cat, because I was going to suggest to get in contact with her.
Yep :smt045

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

parla wrote:Lots of helpline counsellors a will do some research and get back to callers if they don't have enough information, so they can still help even if its outside their comfort zone,
I think if I had known the question to ask "tell me about lipase" it would have been ok, but "my screaming baby won't take my gross smelling ebm" usually led to a discussion about storage times, heating methods, paced bottle feeding, slow flow teats etc. That was my experience at any rate.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

nobunnies
Site Admin

Post by nobunnies » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a secret that you can email bf-info@breastfeeding.asn.au for ideas like this.

Email aliases are our friend (and yes, the current person behind this particular email alias is particularly lovely).

It's interesting that you had that experience Penguin with many counsellors not able to help you out. I don't know if it's just because I've read your story, but a baby not taking expressed breast milk, especially if it smells 'off' - scalding would be the first thing I would think to suggest.
Jen

Mum to Miss Froggie (March '07) and Mr B (June '09)

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:31 pm

nobunnies wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not a secret that you can email bf-info@breastfeeding.asn.au for ideas like this.

Email aliases are our friend (and yes, the current person behind this particular email alias is particularly lovely).

It's interesting that you had that experience Penguin with many counsellors not able to help you out. I don't know if it's just because I've read your story, but a baby not taking expressed breast milk, especially if it smells 'off' - scalding would be the first thing I would think to suggest.
Me too.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:13 am

Me too - I picked it up from the booklet.

Sometimes all it needs is to have someone write the article, it gets reviewed and edited and up it goes.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either