Far out, I'm running a 'Can you face Facebook'? Workshop!

For discussion about the association in general
Feebes

Far out, I'm running a 'Can you face Facebook'? Workshop!

Post by Feebes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 pm

We started a local ABA Facebook group 4 months ago. Its been a saviour to our group and if it wasn't for the Facebook group, our ABA group would be in dire trouble.

I have been really vocal on abaChat etc about our success. I posted on abaChat the success and the article was picked up by the Vic Branch and used in their weekly annoucements e-mail. The article is also in this months Talkabout.

Anyhoo, had a phone call today for this years SA/NT 2012 State Conference Co-ordinator! Apparently a little birdie said that I was a 'wizz' at Facebook and also mentioned how our group is going so well now thanks to the success of our face group.

So I have been asked to run a workshop on 'Can you face Facebook?'. I'm so stoked and honoured to have been asked to run the workshop given that I have never attended state conference before and also that I have only been actively in our local group since November and started training in late April.

Hope it will mean that I can ticking 'something' off the assessment task list down the track!

Anyway, if you were to go on such a workshop that went for an hour, what would want to take away from the workshop? What handouts would you want? Or at conferences, is it perfered that disks are handed out instead of soft copy?

By the way, if the little birdie is reading this, thanks so much!! I'm just totally honoured that you put my name forward!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

princess-spud

Post by princess-spud » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 am

great work!
i remember reading your emailed about it.

one thing to think about when you are presenting is to preface it with "this is what worked for our group" as ofcourse somethings might not work for other groups so you dont want people thinking you are presenting the only way to have an fb group for their ABA group.

maybe include the using technology policy and info re facebook fromt he style guide?
have a top 5 or top 10 things that worked/we do handout?

all the best!
Princess G is 2.5, proud DDH baby (pavlik harness) and nipple shield fed for 19months.

Lady J is 7 months, self weaned from a shield at 5months and now feeding like a pro.

jessles
Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Post by jessles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I reckon have a question time so then specific things can be covered that those there want to hear.

Also, think back to what YOU wanted to know when you set yours up (eg what sort of group did you want - open/close/secret etc, how did you get the word out about it, how does CofE impact the group)

Maybe have a look at other groups stes and see what they have so you can offer suggestions as to what to include on it.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 pm

I was going to suggest looking at other group's sites too. Our group has a site and it has been quite helpful (although not as great as yours).

I'm not a facebook user and don't intend becoming one, so it might be helpful including a small section for the complete luddites in your audience on what facebook is, how it works, privacy issues - just a couple of minutes otherwise everyone else will go to sleep!

Also, as a GL, I would say make clear that this is a great job for someone NOT the GL to take on :lol: It does need monitoring by a counsellor or CE though - we have had some almost-counselling chat on ours that needed to be handled delicately.

The other point to make is that you can use social networks without having a facebook page. We have had a lot of new faces because a member has been posting on a 'mums in [ourtown]' facebook page about our meetings. In other communities there may be something similar.

I probably wouldn't say it has 'saved' your group - you might put off some of the people who were active in the group before you started the page. But just be really clear about the benefits you have seen - that will help people judge if it is something that will be useful for their group.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:14 pm

So I am presenting this workshop again at SAiNT State Conference!

Just editing the notes that I used last year that I handed out.

Relieved that this year I won't be a newbie going!

I am presenting it next Sunday, 5/8.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh great!

You should come and talk at our conference! What are you doing in October?

(I should say I have nothing to do with organising our Branch conference and no authority to invite you!!)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Oh great!

You should come and talk at our conference! What are you doing in October?

(I should say I have nothing to do with organising our Branch conference and no authority to invite you!!)
Yeah, totally! I'll come. Not doing anything then. I'll be there with bells on if my flights and accommation are paid for :-p
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010