expressing at work

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
adk

expressing at work

Post by adk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 am

Hi lovely support ladies!! I have been away from the forum for a while as life was insanely hectic, but I am hoping I can pop back to get some advice.

DS2 is 9 months old and I have come back to work four days a week. I have a double pump that i have been using throughout his life for various reasons (although it is a bit of a waste of time as he will only take breastmilk from the source, won't drink from a bottle and only takes water from a sippy cup, sigh) so I am essentially expressing to manage my supply. I have had supply issues all along and am still on a very low dose of medication for it having weaned off a much bigger dose. I only express once a day as he tends to feed at 6:30am, 1pm, 6:30pm, 10pm, and 3 am, so the only one he is missing while i am at work is the 1pm feed. We are persevering with giving him breastmilk at childcare, either from a bottle or sippy cup, but he only takes a tiny bit most of the time.

My question is, when would it be ok for me to stop expressing at work? Should I keep it up until he actually drops that middle of the day feed, or can I stop at work but still offer him a middle of the day feed when I am at home? Or will my supply adjust and I won't have enough milk in the middle of the day when he wants it? Or the reverse, will I end up exploding during the day at work because my body will keep making milk if he has a mid day feed some days but not others?? The other thing is that I have had really really bad problems with blocked ducts and on a couple of occasions mastitis in one breast, and I am worried if I don't express the ducts will block again and I will get mastitis (soooo painful!!).

Expressing at work is not too much of a problem, i have my own office and can usually find 15 minutes, but it is a hassle in that i worry that someone will drop in and i will be expressing(I work in a role that people drop in when they need me) , and I have to store the milk etc. I find it especially frustrating given he refuses to drink most of it!!!

I have another question somewhat unrelated to expressing - I was told by my MCHN that he should only be having three feeds a day, but there are some days when I am at home that he wants 4 (when he wakes from a sleep in the morning and again when he wakes in the pm). Should I refuse on the basis that it would muck up my expressing routine and might make him less settled at childcare, or can i give him more feeds when I am home? And do I then have to express twice at work?? I am working towards cutting out the 3am feed - I have been told very firmly he doesn't need that one any more, I am just dreading the screaming that will go with the night weaning so am putting it off (insert embarrassed face here.....). I am happy to continue breastfeeding until he doesn't want it any more, so weaning itself is not so much an issue, but I would love to stop expressing at work if I can, and don't know whether that means I should cut back feeds at home as well.

thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

Esther

Re: expressing at work

Post by Esther » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Just a quick q as to whether you've tried offering the EBM cold from the fridge? Twas the only way DD2 would take it. Daycare mum took some convincing....

May be back later
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

adk

Post by adk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

No, we have always warmed it!! Will try it cold, anything is better than pouring it down the sink lol!!
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 pm

If you wanted to try very gradually shifting the midday expressing session to later in the day and see how you feel. If doing it an hour later is OK after a few shifts, and day-off feeds are OK, you could try a little later and so on until you can go the whole afternoon without expressing. You could also try reducing the amount you are expressing at the same time.

But I'd be very cautious and go really slow - the risk of mastitis with stopping expressing suddenly is very real. And with a tricky supply you might have the opposite problem on your day off.

Nine month old babies are still taking most of their nutrition from milk, once you get past 12 months the amount of milk will start to taper off. So if it doesn't work and you end up needing to keep expressing, it won't be forever - as your bub starts taking much more food it will be easier to drop that midday feed/express.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

A+D

Post by A+D » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:56 pm

I have no history of blocked ducts, and only work one day a week, so obviously very different situation, dd2 is now 1 and a couple of weeks ago decided I would just have lunch with my colleagues rather than pump, and was ok, but did monitor myself all afternoon for feeling any engorgement etc. I reckon the push it back a bit each day and see how it goes is good advice. Also, if you and your ds are happy with a 3am feed, why stop it? Dd2 tends to have one at 12 and 3, I'd love more sleep, but otherwise I am ok to do this (and would say happy to do this if she would just go straight back to sleep after this)
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:17 am

So good to hear from you!

Personally at that age I wouldn't worry about 'too many feeds.' And with your record of mastitis and supply issues I wouldn't drop the expressing session.
DD born September 2013