expressing

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

expressing

Postby Bel13b » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:55 pm

My baby is 6 days old and due to very damaged nipples I am trying to express one side to give it a break. It takes me almost 1hr to express 60mls by hand as the pump hurts too much. I have tried having a shower beforehand and using warm washers. Can I make this happen any quicker?
Bel13b

Re: expressing

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Bel, congrats on your new baby and welcome to the forum!

Ouch, you have my sympathies. I went through the same thing after DD was born and expressed to give my nipples a break. I would encourage you to call the helpline, the trained counsellors are lovely and available 24/7, they will be able to go through things in depth and give you some one-on-one help.

I used a pump as I was crap at hand expressing (so bad that I didn't drain the breast well enough and got mastitis :oops: ). Pumping shouldn't hurt, and if it does that could be an indication that the suction is turned up too high or the shield/flange is too small. I have large nipples and had to buy a larger shield as my nipples rubbed against the side of the regular sized one.

There are some tips on this page about how to encourage the let-down reflex: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breastfeeding-and-work/expressing-and-storing-breastmilk

And this page has some good hand expressing links which may be helpful to ensure you've got a good technique: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/hand-expressing

The other thing that springs to mind is making sure that you're addressing the cause of the nipple damage. In the early days the most common reason for nipple damage is incorrect positioning and attachment https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/attachment-breast, but there can also be medical reasons such as tongue tie or upper lip tie. I discovered months later that DD had a severe upper lip tie and I wonder if that was the reason (or partly) why her latch was so terrible.

I hope some of this helps, keep us posted on how you go. Those first few weeks can be challenging so don't be afraid to ask for help whenever you need it :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Re: expressing

Postby Mummy Latte » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Bel, that sounds like a tricky start for you. I'm just wondering if you have access to breastfeeding support from the hospital. Cloud9 has provided some great information that I would echo.

One thing to consider is the amount of expressing you're doing. If you can feed your baby from one side, you might only need to express for comfort from the damaged side. 60ml is loads of milk! A 10 day old's stomach is the size of a golf ball - a couple of tablespoons. So your 60ml is a probably couple of feeds' worth. If your baby is getting enough from the less damaged side, with some of the expressed breastmilk, you could consider expressing for less time, and maybe more frequently.

It sounds like there are a few things going on so a counsellor would be able to talk through everything and provide some more suggestions. It would be worth calling the helpline to have a chat.

Good luck with everything. We'd love to hear how you get on.
Mummy Latte

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk