Preparing for night away ebm question

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Preparing for night away ebm question

Postby peneva » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:48 am

In a few weeks we need to spend a night away from our baby. I am preparing for this by expressing milk. So far I only have 2x 120 ml feeds frozen in milk bags. I will need about 8 feeds all together for my mum to feed my daughter.

My questions are:
How does she defrost the milk? Is it better to take from the freezer and put into fridge or can it be defrosted as needed by using hot water?
How long does hot water take to defrost about 120ml?
If she doesn't finish the whole feed (usually does) can it go back in fridge?
Should I defrost the milk before I give to my mum or should I leave her with the 8 frozen bags?
Do all babies take to frozen ebm or should I try my daughter out on it before our night out?

Is there anything else I need to know? Unfortunately we can't avoid the night away from our bub so trying to get as organise as possible. Good thing I seem to be able to express easily!
peneva

Re: Preparing for night away ebm question

Postby Ronale » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 am

Some of your questions are easily answered by keeping this page bookmarked (it has all the current guidelines for storing ebm) https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk
And here is some information for your mum on caring for your breastfed baby which may or may not be useful https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/caregivers.html

I think once a feed has started you will need to discard the left over milk, so perhaps storing in smaller amounts might be good? That way ther will be little or no wastage. Also, I've found that storing milk in plastic bags flat means they defrost really quickly in a cup of hot milk.
to work out the exact Mount of milk needed it might be a good idea to call a counsellor - it's a Bit to chat through as the calculation for formula fed babies is not used when calculating the amount of ebm to leave for a breastfed baby. Here's a little information though if you look under how much https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby Ronale » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 am

Oh, and enjoy your night out!
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
Ronale
Counsellor

Postby fellare » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 am

What ronale said. But you can defrost and just put 40 ml or so in the bottle, then add as you need to. Once the milk had been in contact with saliva and can't be reused. Defrosted milk lasts a little while,
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Yankee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Just noting that I think Ronale meant the bags defrost quickly in a cup of hot water, not a cup of hot milk. 8) You don't want to use boiling water (don't know why tbh that's just what I've been told) but we always used hot water.

Hope the night out is for fun and not work!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Ronale » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 am

Yankee wrote:Just noting that I think Ronale meant the bags defrost quickly in a cup of hot water, not a cup of hot milk. 8) You don't want to use boiling water (don't know why tbh that's just what I've been told) but we always used hot water.

Hope the night out is for fun and not work!

Lol. Oops! :oops: :smt005
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
Ronale
Counsellor

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk