exclusive expressing from birth

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Re: exclusive breastfeeding from birth

Postby Esther » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:30 am

Actually I can change the title for you now ;-)
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Re: exclusive expressing from birth

Postby firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks esther for changing the title :)

Thanks for the advice ladies. Much appreciated
firsttimemummatobe

Postby A+D » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 am

I've exclusively expressed in the past and worn out my old double, so have just ordered the pump you mentioned, just for going back to work this time though. I'll let you know what I think once I've got it compared to the brand the hospitals use.

Don't be surprised either if the mods delete the name of the pump, as you can only mention brands sold through Mothers Direct on the forum, and I don't think that one is.

In terms of expressing from birth, I've had 2 prem labours and done this. As someone else mentioned, did hand expressing for the first couple of days to get the colostrum, started both times within an hour of giving birth, but my babies had been taken to NICU so didn't have distraction of a baby there. I started on the hospital double electric probably the second day for stimulation, but still hand expressed off the drops of colostrum after. I alwys expressed by hand after the flow from the pump had stopped actually.

Good luck with the birth of your baby! Look forward to hearing the good news and your EE progress.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Postby A+D » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:24 am

Just reread what I wrote, and just wanted to say I don't think babies are a distraction! Just meant I had nothing else to do as there was no baby to cuddle, so it was nice to do something positive like begin expressing. If I had my baby with me, I would have focused on getting to know them.

Another thing I have just thought of, have you discussed your wishes with your caregivers? Just so they know what is going to happen once baby is here, and you aren't going to have to answer a heap of questions on the day about what and why you are EEing?
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Previous

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk