exclusive expressing from birth

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
firsttimemummatobe

exclusive expressing from birth

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:05 am

Hi ladies,

First time poster here.im currently pregnant with bub number 1 whines due next month. For personal reasons I have made the decision to exclusive breastfeed as I still want to provide the liquid gold to my bubba.

Im just looking to hear from other mums who have done the same thing as I have a few questions.

How does it work...rather than bub being placed on the breast shortly can I go straight to using a pump or express manually or is it best to feed for a few days until milk comes in then start with a pump.

Sorry if this information is posted elsewhere...if so please direct me to the correct place.

Thanks in advance

Esther

Re: exclusive breastfeeding from birth

Post by Esther » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am

Hello and welcome,

Just to be clear, are you looking to exclusively express from the birth of your baby? I wasn't 100% sure and don't want to give you info that won't help you :D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:31 am

Hi and welcome.
Exclusive expressing is hard work but well worth the effort. there are a few useful links on our website: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing and also https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/premature and here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12229

However you decide to feed bub, you need stimulation of the breast as soon as bub is born. So starting with hand expressing every couple of hours, and then once the milk comes in you could move to an electric pump. If you do go with exclusive expressing it is important that you have a good quality pump, most pumps on the market are designed for occasional expressing so that mums can go out etc. For exclusive expressing you need to express at least 8 times a day for the first few months and then at lest 4 times a day from then on, so the pump needs to be strong enough to cope. Lots of good information here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... p-best-you and all the information on this page will be helpful for you: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk

I found exclusive expressing to be very time consuming. Basically because you feed the baby twice, once when you remove milk from your breast and twice when you deliver it to the baby. So double time for each feed. Still it is worth it, whenever I look at my 7 year old and know that I expressed milk for him for over 2 years I know that great beginning has helped make him the wonderful kid he is now.

firsttimemummatobe

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 am

Esther wrote:Hello and welcome,

Just to be clear, are you looking to exclusively express from the birth of your baby? I wasn't 100% sure and don't want to give you info that won't help you :D

Hi Esther, yes...exclusive breast feeding bubs from birth if possible.

firsttimemummatobe

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 am

JennyD wrote:Hi and welcome.
Exclusive expressing is hard work but well worth the effort. there are a few useful links on our website: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing and also https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/premature and here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12229

However you decide to feed bub, you need stimulation of the breast as soon as bub is born. So starting with hand expressing every couple of hours, and then once the milk comes in you could move to an electric pump. If you do go with exclusive expressing it is important that you have a good quality pump, most pumps on the market are designed for occasional expressing so that mums can go out etc. For exclusive expressing you need to express at least 8 times a day for the first few months and then at lest 4 times a day from then on, so the pump needs to be strong enough to cope. Lots of good information here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... p-best-you and all the information on this page will be helpful for you: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk

I found exclusive expressing to be very time consuming. Basically because you feed the baby twice, once when you remove milk from your breast and twice when you deliver it to the baby. So double time for each feed. Still it is worth it, whenever I look at my 7 year old and know that I expressed milk for him for over 2 years I know that great beginning has helped make him the wonderful kid he is now.

Thanks Jenny. I did have a read of those pages. I will have to go through and have a read of the forum. I can imagine it is going to be hard work. I have already looked into breast pumps. I was thinking of the spectra s2. I wasn't sure if I should make this purchase before hand or wait and see how I go (I.e if i have probs with milk coming in etc) and just use the hospital pump initially and then buy once I know it works.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! It's lovely to hear you're committed to breastfeeding, a lot of mums don't think about it beforehand.

Usually if everything goes well, the easiest thing to do is feed bub directly from the breast - it's the easiest way to make sure bubs is getting as much milk as he or she needs. Plus it's portable (boobs go with you everywhere!) and it saves time (no pumping or washing up). But if you've chosen to exclusively express, the links above have great information. If you've decided to express, I highly recommend asking the nurses to help you learn how to use a hospital-grade pump whilst you're in the hospital, and consider renting one when you get home. You can rent them from Mother's Direct or your local ABA group. Keep in mind that electric pumps you can purchase are not as efficient as a 'hospital-grade' pump (which you have to rent).

Have you had a chance to go to a Breastfeeding Education Class in your area? I highly recommend going, I found it really really helpful to me when I was pregnant. Check here for classes: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/classes
Last edited by Yankee on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DD born September 2013

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:30 pm

When we talk about exclusive breastfeeding we are generally talk in about a baby who is exclusively feed breast milk (ie no other food or drink) usually (although not always) directly from the breast. It sounds like what you are talking about is exclusive expressing, where your baby will still be fed breastmilk only but you will be pumping and bottle feeding rather than feeding directly. Sorry to be picky but it could lead to confusion if we get those terms muddled.

I think it's wonderful that you have decided you still want to provide breast milk for your baby even though you feel that directly breast feeding is not for you. Its also great you are seeking information and support now because it is not the easiest choice for feeding your baby. There are a few mums with experience of exclusive expressing here.

In terms of the pump have you considered hiring one through your local ABA group for the first couple of months before investing in your own?

Also, in response to your OP questions I think that if you think you might be able to cope with it, having skin-on-skin time with your baby on your chest straight after birth is really helpful in terms getting breastfeeding started. Breastfeeding directly for the first couple of days could also help you get off to a good start- Believe me expressing colostrum is not easy- and you might even find you like it.

But neither of three things are essential and if you really don't want to you don't have to. Jenny has already given you a lot of good info on expressing from birth.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Just a quick note from me, and I will come back later, but yes I have exclusively expressed for my second baby for the first several months.

I started with hand expressing because in the first few days there just isn't enough volume to collect efficiently with a pump. It's also much gentler. Did you find the page on our website about maximising milk production while expressing? It's also called hands on pumping or power pumping.

Sorry, have to run, but happy to answer more questions :D
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

firsttimemummatobe

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Omg...baby brain!!!!! I actually meant exclusive expressing!!! How on earth did I stuff that up!!!

firsttimemummatobe

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Not only knce...but twice...my apologies esther...I meant exclusive expressing

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Ah yes, baby brain, what a wonderful blessing from Mother Nature! :smt005

Hope my post didn't come off too harsh against expressing - it's more difficult than feeding straight from the breast but as many women here can attest, it is doable. And this forum and website is a great place to get support and advice. I didn't exclusively pump but I had to pump for a while early on (big time nipple damage!) so I know the old hospital pump well.

Forgot to mention earlier, if you can get the hang of it you can save time if you use a double-pump (expressing both sides at the same time).
DD born September 2013

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

firsttimemummatobe wrote:Not only knce...but twice...my apologies esther...I meant exclusive expressing

:lol: Not to worry, I just decided to wait and see 8) Baby brain can be very useful sometimes too!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

firsttimemummatobe

Re: exclusive expressing from birth

Post by firsttimemummatobe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:12 pm

I feel so silly stuffing up the title like that....wrong title for my own question I wanted assistance with....

Not harsh at all yankee. I do understand that directly breast feeding would be easier, but personally I dont think it is for me. I still want to be able to give bubba the best start though so I thought I would give expressing a chance before not even trying at all. I am open to all commenta and opinions :) I was looking at a double pump as well...the brandname pump is a double n I have found lots of positive reviews online.

I will have a look at that article about hand expressing colostrum. I was open to the idea of directly feeding bubs the colostrum but once milk came in then move to pumping.

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:12 pm

You could definitely switch from feeding colostrum at the breast to expressing exclusively after.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

Jenbt85

Re: exclusive expressing from birth

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 pm

firsttimemummatobe wrote:I feel so silly stuffing up the title like that....wrong title for my own question I wanted assistance with....
Don't feel silly :) Best of luck with exclusive expressing. My friend had her bub early and, as a result of attachment issues, moved to exclusive expressing. It was full on, but she became Queen of the breast accessories (breast warmers, anyone?) and used a double pump. She was very routine based and expressing worked in well for her. She stopped at 8 months.

Please stick around and keep us posted on how you go :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu