Expressing dilemma at work

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Mmm

Expressing dilemma at work

Post by Mmm » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:35 am

I need some help resolving problems with expressing at work. With my first bub I had my own office so just closed the blind, locked the door and no-one was any the wiser.

Returning with my second they have decided that as I am part time I have to share my office (with a 50yr old man). I explained that this would create some problems with expressing (the only other choices are other peoples offices, meeting rooms with no blind/lock or the toilet. They advised it was all sorted, he wouldn't be there much and if I need to express he would leave.

He is not there much but guaranteed to arrive just before I am due to express and has to urgently finish something, starts a long phone call etc. I also feel completely uncomfortable asking him to leave (don't generally discuss my boobs at work) so I delay or miss expressing & end up with leaky boobs, blocked ducts, short on milk for next workday (& have to resort to formula or 3am expressing) and also mess up my supply for the days we are home (meaning more night feeds & less sleep).

I have tried discussing this with my boss on a few occasions now (without the graphic detail above) & they just don't seem to get it. Any ideas?

JMc

Re: Expressing dilemma at work

Post by JMc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

This sounds so tricky. I think I would resort to graphic detail until they understand.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 pm

yes... this is unreasonable conditions and a form of discrimination. I'd sit them both down and explain in graphic detail what you require... and what the implications are of their behaviour.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Would you feel more comfortable putting your issue in writing? Or maybe having someone to advocate for you?

It is a right to be able to express at work. Maybe there is an info sheet on the ABA website you can print off to give them to read?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!