Breastfeeding/Expressing and Travel

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Breastfeeding/Expressing and Travel

Postby Reneemaloney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi. I am travelling to a wedding OS without my DD 4 days. I exclusively breastfeed and have expressed enough for whilst I am away. My dilemma is what to do with what to do with the expressed milk. I don't want to waste it.
Reneemaloney

Re: Breastfeeding/Expressing and Travel

Postby mooki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi renee, do you mean what to do with the milk you express while you are separated from your bub?
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Reneemaloney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Yeah I don't want to throw it out - that would make me sad ;-)
Reneemaloney

Postby mooki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 pm

ah totally understand. Are you able to store it in your accommodation and transport it home? I guess it depends on how far youre travelling and whether you have facilities to store it.

Or you could donate it?
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Reneemaloney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

I am staying with a friend so it can be refrigerated and then was going to put in a cooler bag with ice bricks and refrigerate on the plane. Would that work?
Reneemaloney

Postby mooki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Do you think the temperature could be maintained for the time you travel? Its one of things that you would make a judgement call on yourself and whether you feel the temperature of the milk stayed cool enough for you to refrigerate it or offer it to your baby when you got home. It would also be helpful to double check the guidelines for carring liquids through security. it might be helpful to phone the airline ahead of time and see if they can help?
mooki
Site Admin

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm

mooki wrote:Do you think the temperature could be maintained for the time you travel? Its one of things that you would make a judgement call on yourself and whether you feel the temperature of the milk stayed cool enough for you to refrigerate it or offer it to your baby when you got home. It would also be helpful to double check the guidelines for carring liquids through security. it might be helpful to phone the airline ahead of time and see if they can help?

Totally fine to carry breastmilk through security screening. If you are flying domestically they don't check for liquids, and internationally there is an exemption for breastmilk.

You might consider freezing the milk if you have a good esky that will keep it frozen for the trip.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

If you wanted to give it to someone at your destination you could contact Human Milk 4 Human Babies (search for your area on FB) and see if anyone in the area needs donor milk.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Reneemaloney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Can anyone think of anyway I can transport home and it'll be fine?
Reneemaloney

Postby Ducks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 am

How long are you in transit between freezers? I have transported about a litre of milk frozen in bags and stacked together so that it was almost a solid block. Then in an insulated bag with ice packs surrounding. I had a 4hr drive and the milk was still frozen when i got back home. The bigger the volume the longer it will stay frozen. The outside bags might start to thaw in which case i wouldn't refreeze but refrigerate and use asap. I reckon you could save some of it.
Ducks

Postby Penguin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 am

Reneemaloney wrote:Can anyone think of anyway I can transport home and it'll be fine?

Yes, I vote freeze the milk, pack with ice packs (you may not even need to do that) and put in a cool bag or box. How long will you be without a freezer? Flying or driving?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby mooki » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 am

I think the biggest factor will be the time in transit. You can get some pretty good eskies and cooler boxes these days though
mooki
Site Admin

Postby JMc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am

I agree. Freeze and pack in cooler bag/box with ice. If you can check it it would stay pretty cold in the cargo hold.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Postby fellare » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

I agree with the others.

If it gets defrosted you could cook it into pancakes/muffins/anything that contains milk but is cooked and freeze that and use when your child is old enough for solids.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk