How much is a feed for a 6 week old?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

How much is a feed for a 6 week old?

Postby adk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:36 pm

I have been expressing to increase my supply and occasionally bubs has required a top up of expressed milk, but I am starting to get a bit of a supply in the freezer and am thinking about leaving bubs with DP for a short time. I want to leave a feed and I have a bottle with about 100 mls in it frozen, but wasn't sure if that was enough for a feed for a baby at this age. I know when they are on formula they tend to initially have 120mls and later 150 then later again 180, but is it the same for breast milk? I will have some extra in the freezer as well, but was curious as to how much DP would need for one feed. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!
adk

Re: How much is a feed for a 6 week old?

Postby Nedsmum » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Actually, for a breastfed baby, I would suggest freezing just in 50mL lots. They a can be defrosted when needed and if the baby finishes one lot, you can just offer another one.

Bottle fed babies are 'trained' to take fewer and larger bottles than a typical breastfed baby would have - there is a calculation you can do based on weight of the baby divided by how many feeds they normally have....sorry, I don't know exactly...

Also, if you are just leaving the baby you don't want to really 'fill the, up'...just give them enough to cover until you get back...and if you do leave them for a 'skipped' feed then normally you would also need to express the skipped feed.... Which often makes it seem far easier to just keep the baby close by....

How many hours do you plan to leave the baby for?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby fellare » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:04 pm

It varies. Mine would never have more than 40ml at a time. He likes short regular feeds, though.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Parla. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 pm

The closest we can usually get to an amount is to take the average daily intake for a breastfed baby of that age (750-800mls) and divide it by number of daily feeds to give a ballpark figure of how much "one feed" is. That said, the normal range is 500mls to over 1000mls, and babies vary how much they take at different feeds, and like fellare and Nedsmum say they often drink less from a bottle than they would with you, so it's a big ballpark but at least it gives you somewhere to start!
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)
Parla.
Counsellor

Postby adk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Thank you! On the odd occasion my little one has needed a top up (usually in the evening, and thankfully only about 4 times in 5 weeks so that is great) he has had up to 60ml and that is after a feed!! And often he has sought more, but i figure enough is enough and haven't given him any more than that.

Even though that makes me think he takes quite a bit for a feed, i guess 100ml might be a starting point and then if he wants more DP can defrost one of the smaller containers in the fridge. I have mostly been freezing 60ml at a time, I just had the one bottle with more in it, but from now on i will stick to the 60ml and DP can always defrost two if he needs them. Thanks ladies.
adk

Postby adk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Just answering the question of how long i would be leaving him - 4 hrs maximum, but during the day he feeds anywhere from 2 to 3 hrly so I would definitely miss one feed. Overnight he goes 4 hrs, which is bliss!!
adk

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 pm

60mL sounds good to me. My DD was having 150mL bottles at 4 months, but that's also when I was gone all day so she had a long time to wait for a top up.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk