Quantities & Storage

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Quantities & Storage

Postby aussiebec » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm

So I found this forum over the weekend and have gone through a lot of previous posts and have these questions.

I have started to express and store my milk in the deep freeze as of last week. I have added new amounts to refrigerated milk and then frozen. Is this still viable? (I’ll cool before I add from now on).
I use breast milk bags to store the milk am I likely to have a lipase issue? I would hate to go out and my husband not be able to use my ‘white gold’!

Also my baby is 7 weeks now, what amounts should I be storing for later and how much to give?
If I use an ice tray for milk cubes how do I safely store in the tray, I have ice cube trays with lids and when the tray is full how are they stored?

I'm sure I'll have more questions that I've forgotten but will appreciate any responses to the above.

Bec

*Brandname removed due to Code of Ethics - Mod team*
Last edited by aussiebec on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussiebec

Re: Quantities & Storage

Postby Little Tiggermum » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:02 pm

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk
will probably answer a lot of your questions
Lipase is not always an issue for people. I've had high lipase in the past, but Pumba have never seemed worried about it and the milk seems fine this time around.
I do freeze almost instantaneously though.
*better go and do some work- expressing session is over :wink:
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby fellare » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:44 pm

I used to freeze in ice cubes and then put all the ice cubes together in a bag. Then I could just take out what I needed and it was easy to take out more. I found the bags, any bag I used, leaked when defrosting.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Yankee » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Welcome and congratulations in the bub! You sure are thinking ahead if you're ready to start thinking about nights out at 7 weeks, that's great! I think I was in a housebound fog until about 12 weeks (although to be honest it's such a fog I can't remember!)

That website is a great guide but for some of the more personal questions like lipase and amounts, I recommend having a dry run when you're nearby (maybe a coffee with a friend locally?) to take the stress and worry out of it when you really want to have a night out. I don't know how much you put in your bags but personally I usually put away bags of between 75 and 100ml and offer one or two. That way if she's not very hungry I haven't felt like I've wasted tons of milk.

If your bub doesn't take the bottle your husband can try a sippy cup, even an open cup or sometimes they prefer a different shape of bottle.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby aussiebec » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks All for the responses. I think I lucked out with the good baby fairy especially being a FTM!! I have a very supportive and hands on husband so that really does help and a really good baby. I want to be able to go and play a few rounds of golf and that needs me to be organized :P .

I guess my questions are me trying to anticipate any humps and avoid wasting my white gold.

With the storing of ice cubes what sort of bag does it matter? I'd had to contaminate by accident.
aussiebec

Postby fellare » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:22 pm

I just used zip lock freezer bags. You can just apply the same food handling standards to milk as you would for most other foods, keeping in mind that breast milk kills most bacteria and viruses!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk