Expressing was good now nothing

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
AePasa

Expressing was good now nothing

Post by AePasa » Sun May 18, 2014 4:21 pm

I have been exclusively breastfeed my 5 months old and expressing once a day. Used to get around 80 ml but now no more than 10 ml. I think I have to mention the brand to get accurate advice. I used to use Nuk electric pump but it was broken- so I bought medela swing maxi. With the new one I can't get hardly any milk. What am I doing wrong. Also I start school for two full days so no expressing or feeding in those two days, could that be the reason for the drop?

Jenbt85

Re: Expressing was good now nothing

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi there :) Expressing can be really tricky and there can be lots of reasons why your supply drops. I consistently used the same pump and went from being able to express, to being able to get nothing at all. Another friend used my pump and exclusively expressed for her little one for a few months with it so it wasn't the pump (the one you've bought). For me, stress, exhaustion and not eating enough all affected my supply.

Things that are meant to help are being relaxed, distracting yourself with funny movies / YouTube clips, being warm, compressions, having something that smells like your baby, thoughts of your baby or having them in view...

I would recommend giving the helpline a call to see what tips they may have.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sun May 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi there AePasa, a call to the helpline is a good idea if you'd like someone to go through all the details with you.

If you've had a couple of days without feeds or expressing, that will probably cause a drop in your supply, but you might find it bounces back fairly easily once you're back to your normal routine of feeds.

Also, if the drop in expressing happened exactly when you started using the new pump, it might be worth getting it checked out, maybe where you bought it. Sometimes they have dodgy membranes or loose parts so the suction isn't strong enough.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 pm

parla wrote:
Also, if the drop in expressing happened exactly when you started using the new pump, it might be worth getting it checked out, maybe where you bought it. Sometimes they have dodgy membranes or loose parts so the suction isn't strong enough.

Also, if the pump is just not assembled exactly right you might not be getting suction. I used Medela and they are an excellent pump, but if not put together right there is poor suction. Maybe review the paperwork that came with the pump if you think this might be a factor?

Good luck
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

AePasa

Post by AePasa » Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Thank you so much for the "distracting" tip. Just tried expressing and too busy readin all the reply and suddenly "letdown". Yay. Guess I was too concentrating on the new pump and forgot I should relax. It never cross my mind before that I "have" to relax. In hindsight in was probably stressing the new pump to work cuz it's so expensive. Lol

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 am

That's great news! :D
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon May 19, 2014 8:43 am

That is great news! Someone on the forum recently reassured me (I'm probably going to misquote this) that expressing is a better indicator of stress levels than milk levels!
DD born September 2013

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Mon May 19, 2014 10:27 am

AePasa wrote:Thank you so much for the "distracting" tip. Just tried expressing and too busy readin all the reply and suddenly "letdown". Yay. Guess I was too concentrating on the new pump and forgot I should relax. It never cross my mind before that I "have" to relax. In hindsight in was probably stressing the new pump to work cuz it's so expensive. Lol

Hooray :)

Distraction always worked for me too.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm

I always got best let down when "forumming" while pumping ;) Glad you found something that works for you.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4